Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarts and Critical Structure Corruption

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ArielAZ

ArielAZ

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

At about 9:20 this morning, my Dell PC running Windows 10 (upgraded from Win 8.1) restarted without warning while I was actively using it.

Then, at about 10:40, it did the same thing. Only this time it did display a "blue screen" with some text -- which included a note that I could look into CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION if I wanted to find out why it was restarting. My research (so far) indicates that a new device driver could be the issue. Only I haven't installed any new devices or drivers in several weeks or months.

What do I need to check or fix?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Any dumps in C:\Windows\minidump?  If yes, zip them up and upload the zip file here.

ArielAZ

ArielAZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Yes, there was a dump file. From yesterday at 10:45 am MST. I'm uploading it now. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Nothing much of use in the dump unfortunately.

I suggest starting by testing your RAM.

===================================================
RAM:

Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

infosmall1.png Information
29502d1439047384-memtest86-test-ram-memt

MemTest86+
is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
  • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
  • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

warnsmall.png Warning
MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

notesmall1.png Note
MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.