Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Scan (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Rickles , 10 October 2016 - 01:13 AM

Hi phillpower2, Good news at last! Screen print attached. Bit of a marathon run on this one and many, many thanks for staying with me. I do like also Freebooter's comment '... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Thank you for that reply.

So where to from here?

Regards

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Rickles,

With your Windows 10 disk in the drive you need to try and set the DVD drive as the first boot device again in the BIOS, save the settings by pressing F10 according to HP here, restart the computer and then try the repair following the steps previously suggested.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I am still with you.

Finally persuaded the computer to co-operate.

Went into BIOS and changed Priority then with Disc in the drive restarted.

I had to use the Start Up Repair Option.

It came up with Your system could not be repaired.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Rickles,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to need to do a clean install of Windows 10  :(

Is there any data on the HDD that you need to back up.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Just the email addresses and a couple of days to find the discs I need and the serial numbers.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Rickles,

Partly good news for you at least, as you upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 you will not need to enter a product key for Windows 10, MS will have that information on their database, if you have any other licence keys that you need for the likes of MS Office or other programs let us know and we will help you obtain them with ease.

If I recall correctly I previously mentioned not being aware of from where you obtained your Windows 10 media and further along the line that you said that you had plenty of spare USB thumb drives, if your ISO was downloaded from Microsoft using the media creation tool you should be able to use that for the clean install or alternatively you can download a fresh ISO to a USB thumb drive and use that, a clean install from disk is the easiest option as the USB thumb drive option often needs settings within the UEFI BIOS to be changed, at this point I will not go into too much detail about the USB thumb drive method but can you meanwhile post back and let us know whether or not your ISO was downloaded direct from Microsoft, the Nero program in your earlier ISO screenshot cast a little uncertainty on this. 

Regarding email addresses, not sure if you kept these in a folder on your desktop otherwise they are stored at your browser be it Chrome, Edge or IE and can be accessed from any computer as long as you can log into your account there.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi phillpower2,

The Windows update was downloaded from Microsoft themselves. I had the option to save it as an ISO and now, of course, I have opened it up.

I am not thinking clearly it seems, I have the websites and email address on the laptop. It has the same accounts and Browsers and I shall double check tomorrow, my time, as I will use the laptop at the Museum.

I have the discs for Photoshop and Office 2010 and the other programs I need.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Rickles,

ISO information acknowledged.

Do you have all of the licence keys for all programs that you will be reinstalling.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Yes I have the serial numbers I need and the programs.

I had an email via Geeks with this:

1: Type cmd in the run command

2: When Command Prompt appears, right click on it and then select Run as Administrator.
3: Copy/paste the following command  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth press Enter and wait for the results.

I cannot remember who it is from as I cannot find the email but it was via Geeks.

As it was not from you I have not run it.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure why but another member copy/paste my reply #10 and post it, most unhelpful to you :( so the post was hidden.

Hello Rickles,

Easiest way that I find is as follows;

1: Type cmd in the search field on the task bar.

2: When Command Prompt appears, right click on it and then select Run as Administrator.

3: Copy/paste the following command  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth press Enter and wait for the results.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

How are things going with the clean install Rickles.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Everything is on hold at the moment.

My laptop had to go in for repairs.

So if anything goes pear shaped with the desktop I am stuck.

As soon as it gets back I shall endeavour to finish.

You may be able to answer a question:

I was going to upgrade the laptop to Windows 10 but decided to upgrade the desktop first.

So I downloaded the 10 plus serial number.

Now I have been told that I will have to pay for the upgrade?

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Rickles,

If you upgraded the desktop to Windows 10 before July 29th 2016 the upgrade was offered free of charge, MS will have your MB details stored on their database and should be automatically detected when you do the clean install of Windows 10.

The notebook will not qualify for the free upgrade as the expiry date has passed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Any news for us Rickles.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Hello Rickles,

No news yet.

The hard drive in the laptop has to be replaced but hopefully the tech can copy the old drive into the new one.

I will let you know as soon as anything happens.

Regards