Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible virus, pc slow, 3 threats in Malwarebytes, yahoo won't op

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:

(Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. )

Type:

sfc  /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll

and hit Enter.

It should say:  

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

since we have already run sfc /scannow but if it doesn't then:

sfc  /SCANFILE=c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll

will fix the file but you should probably also run
sfc /scannow
and check them all.

I suppose it's possible you are missing an update.  Control Panel, Windows Update, Check for Updates and see if there are any for you.

You can also right click on the file and select Properties. then Details.  What is the Product Version?

Files is hidden so you probably need to tell windows to let you see it:

Advertisements

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Ron! In Portland today, but I  will take care of everything by tomorrow evening.

If I have any questions, I'll message you. I will let you know how things turn out, when I return.

.........Thank you  :D

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

No hurry

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Ron!!  I ran the elevated command prompt.  Did VERIFYFILE and SCANFILE, plus scannow [system32]  and checked them all.  

Resource Protection found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them.  [SEE ATTACHMENT]

I looked for any Windows Updates, but  no important updates available. Just 3 optional updates. I did not download them.
All updates I viewed appeared successful. Last update 8/6/2016. Also, below is the weird computer animation that comes up during the shell32.dll error.

I tried again and it's still there. [ATTACHMENT]. Problem seems to have started, with the Malwarebytes threats I had.

Ron..I do have a question. You said to "right click on the file and select Properties. then Details.  What is the Product Version?"  

.....Please verify what file you're referring too? Windows Update? Not sure I fully understood.  I'm sure it's me, you're very

precise....let me know and I will check the product version.

I selected “Show hidden files and folders”  but I did not
remove the checkbox from “Hide protected operating system files”
since you just asked for the hidden files....but I can gladly do that. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• shell32.jpg
  • shell32.dll-animation.error.jpg

Edited by mango_nj, 16 August 2016 - 06:05 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Let's see what SFC couldn't fix:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)  If the file is empty then run sfc /scannow again.  Windows periodically archives the CBS log.

You will probably need to uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” because I'm sure shell32.dll is a protected system file.

Then right click on Start button and open windows explorer, then look for C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll (you may get a warning when you try to open System32.  Ignore it.)

Right click on shell32.dll and select Properties and then Details and you will see the Product Version.  

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Ron!!  All done. Hopefully I did the Product Version right. I used the RUN dialogue box. [ATTACHED]
I unchecked the hidden folders & the protected operating system files. Afterwards, I made sure ALL

of them were hidden & restarted.  I'll check on your comments this evening. Really thank you for your time.
Have a great day!

CBS-junk-text

[ATTACHED]

Attached Thumbnails

• shell32.dll-productVersion.jpg

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

2016-08-16 02:25:00, Info                  CSI    000001b5 [SR] Cannot verify component files for System.Runtime.Remoting.Resources, Version = 6.0.6002.19178, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_MSIL (8), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-us", VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b77a5c561934e089}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, manifest may be damaged (TRUE)

SFC isn't really complaining about files so much as complaining that a list of files is bad so that it can't check the files.  This is for System.Runtime.Remoting.Resources which sounds like something to do with remote desktop so probably not important.  Can't find anything about it.

Your Shell32.dll was installed as part of

https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=49239

or

https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=49200

which dates from October 13, 2015 

I haven't been able to find a newer version but I will ask on our internal forum if anyone still has Vista and if so what version of Shell32.dll they have.  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Doesn't look good.  One of the other helpers says he has the same version of Vista and it has the same version of Shell32.dll so there isn't a newer version.  He reports the same error you got when he tried to install Yahoo Messenger.

Have you tried one of the multi network IM clients like Miranda?

http://wiki.miranda-im.org/Main_Page

Supposedly it can speak yahoo messenger.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Morning Ron!!  You've gone above & beyond...and I truly thank you. You're definitely
the most patient person in the world.....you surely know your craft. Appreciate going
through so much, to find the answers to my problem. It was an adventure and I learned
a lot...you're a great teacher.  I looked over Miranda and there are 2 versions. I installed
 the newer one which is "ng".  It's rather involved and a better guideline would help.
Can't seem to add Yahoo contacts, says not connected...which "may be" part of yahoo
shutting down the old Legacy program....but I don't know that for sure. I don't know anyone

that uses Miranda, to ask. It's nice to know, one of your Geekstogo helpers saw the

same shell32 error that I did.

Trillion, was another multi protocol svc...BUT...the site said due to the new changes in yahoo
messenger it will no longer be able to connect to their program. Not good for yahoo. If you have

any other recommendations for me, let  me know....otherwise.....

I guess I'm all packed and ready to go. You and your wife will have a great time in
Franconia, NH...that's another beautiful place.  Thank you again :wave: :yeah:

Edited by mango_nj, 18 August 2016 - 05:41 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You might try http://alternativeto...latform=windows

They claim to work with Yahoo but perhaps not with the new version. No way to tell without trying it.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

In addition to the above I just got this from in response to my internal forum request:

Next I went for v.11.5.0.228 from here : http://filehippo.com/download_yahoomessenger/

... and it appears to have installed just fine on the Vista VM.

mango_nj

mango_nj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Hi Ron!!! That was a good call...appreciate the information.
I do see in forums re: pidgin, that people are still using
Yahoo messenger. Although I have no idea if it is the new
program, like you said...I have to try it. I'll check it out.

It's interesting, but a lot of businesses use it and are pretty
upset at all the problems they've had. Recently, the Yahoo forum
is filled with long standing members, that have made the new
program unusable. The Legacy format has been around for
over 20yrs. It really was the best and worked well on old systems.
It's unfortunate that corporate, always messes up a good thing. A

lot of people thought they had a virus, but it wasn't.

Thank you so much for asking about filehippo/YM v.11.5.0.228.
That is actually the Legacy format I'm currently using & it will be
expiring. That's why it worked perfectly.  The new one that is
causing ALL the problems is 0.8.155-win32. I'm sure your expertise,

will help others, in the same situation as me.  Thank You!

Edited by mango_nj, 19 August 2016 - 12:02 AM.