Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Believe I have a NVRAM issue

• Please log in to reply

Munnsterman

Munnsterman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

After a failed Win 7 64 bit installation on a HP Compaq 6305 Pro SFF using PXE boot from an install server, I have the following error.

"No physical memory is availible at the location required for the Windows Boot Manager. The system cannot continue"

I have done the following:

-Removed the HD and replaced it with a new HD with a cloned image and received the same error.

-The new HD was removed and placed into a known good system and worked fine. The HD from the know good system was installed into the system receiving the error and the error remained.

- Removed and re-seated the memory sticks

- Replaced the memory sticks with known good memory sticks

- Added additional memory sticks

- Reset the CMOS

- Popped the CMOS Battery and left it out for at least 10 minutes and reinstalled

- Reset all of the settings in the BIOS to factory default

- Attempted to use the Windows Install disk

All of these actions only eliminated them as possibilities but I continue to get the same error.

I have scoured the HP site for insight with little success and have scoured a variety of other sites on the web and this issue does not appear to be common.  This said I have found the issue but it seems to happen to people who are trying to install new hardware. I am not installing any new hardware. I also know that the image we are using is not corrupt as it has installed on 20 other systems without issue.

After doing some further research, it seems that the WBM writes some code into the NVRAM to aid in waking up Windows from hibernate. I cannot find a way to clear this code from the NVRAM.

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

MM

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Looking at the maintenance manual

https://h20565.www2....mr_na-c03916058

under Computer Setup - Security on P 17 I see:

Master Boot Record Security

Enables/disables Master Boot Record (MBR) security. The MBR contains information needed to successfully boot from a disk and to access the data stored on the disk. Master Boot Record Security may prevent unintentional or malicious changes to the MBR, such as those caused by some viruses or by the incorrect use of certain disk utilities. It also allows you to recover the "last known good" MBR, should changes to the MBR be detected when the system is restarted. When MBR Security is enabled, the BIOS prevents any changes being made to the MBR of the current bootable disk while in MS-DOS or Windows Safe Mode. NOTE: Most operating systems control access to the MBR of the current bootable disk; the BIOS cannot prevent changes that may occur while the operating system is running.

Default is Disabled but perhaps it managed to get turned on? Sort of sounds like what you are seeing.

There is also this option:

Embedded Security Device (enable/disable)

- Permits activation and deactivation of the Embedded Security Device. NOTE: To configure the Embedded Security Device, a Setup password must be set. ● Reset to Factory Settings (Do not reset/Reset) - Resetting to factory defaults will erase all security keys and leave the device in a disabled state. Changing this setting requires that you restart the computer. Default is Do not reset. CAUTION: The embedded security device is a critical component of many security schemes. Erasing the security keys will prevent access to data protected by the Embedded Security Device. Choosing Reset to Factory Settings may result in significant data loss. ●

Appears both of them require you to set a BIOS password before you can see or change either option.