Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD with concentric circle spots - is it salvagable?

DVD

• Please log in to reply

GladysDuBois

GladysDuBois

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have several DVDs that I recorded a few years ago transferring videos from VHS tapes. I went back to view them and several are not playable. I tried different DVD players and got same result. I noticed the ones that don't play have these spots that are concentric circles with many rings. (Think of what a tree trunk looks like when you cut it - see attached photo).  They are from the same manufacturer and ones I have from other manufacturer do not have these spots. So I am assuming something is wrong with the discs. I have tried several methods of cleaning and repairing and nothing worked. My question is whether these discs are salvageable. Perhaps by resurfacing them? If so, how would I do that? Is it expensive??

Attached Thumbnails

• DVD Spots.png

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi GladysDuBois, and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

When you have damage to the surface of an optical disc, it can sometimes be fixed by careful cleaning, of the surface.
Do you know how to do this correctly? and please let us know if you have already tried this without any beneficial effect.

Sometimes if you copy the DVD, the software you use is smart enough to fill in the blanks, so to speak, (by interpolation techniques or similar) but this generally will only work with small areas of losses... However it's worth a try.

Otherwise you may need to employ the services of a data recovery laboratory (costing thousands generally not hundreds) :no:

or use your latest back ups of the data files concerned.

Post back if you need any amplification on this.

Regards

paws