Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help to trace a fraudster

tracing

• Please log in to reply

smilech

smilech

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hello,

someone I met on a dating site immediately fell in love and now asking for money so she can buy her a ticket to come over here to visit me...(:).....we all know what it means....does someone have experience tracing e-mails of that sort.....I want to know if it is possible to tell, from her emails or Skype sessions, where it is coming from and if it is possible to track the game....not to report her to the authorities, nobody lost anything yet, but for pure sporting and hunting adventure....(:

If somebody can teach how to trace those animals, would be greatly appreciated.....what kind of information I should be looking or asking for ?   she knows German language, and even connected via Skype with me, pretty bad connection, btw, claiming to be living in TOGO and visiting friends in Washington State, usa.....I have a copy of her e-mail, run source on it, but am not sure how to read it....Thank you

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

What if they have remote access to various computers around the world? For example, they could be on a rented laptop somewhere in say Japan, use it to log onto a remote computer in say Washington state USA and then use it to send you an email.

Established301

Established301

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

What if they have remote access to various computers around the world? For example, they could be on a rented laptop somewhere in say Japan, use it to log onto a remote computer in say Washington state USA and then use it to send you an email.

what would be the point in all of that? to accomplish what exactly! sounds like the hardest possible way to mask your internet IP address. There has got to be countless easy ways to do that.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Established301,

SpywareDr was just answering the OP's original question.

Yes there are ways to mask an email address, but SpywareDr has listed some methods that some folks get up to to try and obfuscate the origins of an email

Regards

paws

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I have a copy of her e-mail, run source on it, but am not sure how to read it...

If you have the original header files, you can tell quite a bit. Then again, headers can easily be spoofed. You can tell the mail relay used, but just about everything else can be faked. I remember telling an acquaintance the city he was in when he sent me an email, his computer name, and even his username of the machine he was logged in as. 

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

The best method for capture here is to lure them in with something good but not to good use there greed against them and entrap them when they come to collect it but be careful as Nigerian scammers can get very rough I helped to trap one this way before but to be honest there is not a lot of point due to laws and the way they work in different countries conviction is hard most likely they will be bailed and then run and you'll not see them again.

reesCatLover

reesCatLover

• Pip
  • 3 posts

You are running on emotions and think you are in LOVE. 

People like this have come here legally and illegally. Playing rough is not the word. They deal in sexual slavery, drugs, you name it and do not care how they make money. 

You make them mad they will TRACE YOU and pay an associate to put you in the hospital or worse. 

You lost money, Life lesson.

If religious, go to church and meet people and find someone.

Tell friends you are trying to meet someone special.

Take a good look at yourself. Would you date you. In 30 days you can change you. 

Edited by reesCatLover, 25 October 2016 - 10:55 PM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

That's an odd thing to say reescatlover are you one of them then?

If you have a chance to help catch bad people and put them away you should if you ignore and pretend it didn't happen they will hurt/steal from someone else or many more people. So every one should help catch and put bad people where they belong. I doubt they would want more heat on them that sending some one would cause that would be a dumb thing to do a bit like stealing from people.

I for one would never back down if it where me.