Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating desktop

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I have an Optiplex 760 with 4G memory.    Whenever I use it for google earth and such, the system locks up.   I am trying to decide if I should add memory first or replace the onboard video with  a video card.    I am using WIN 7 pro 64 bit as the WIN 10 proved to be a real loser.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Janis.

Your integrated video shares the OS main memory.   When you start browsing with say 4+ tabs open then  try to download/view a video and or view pictures, there is not enough memory to go around, result is OS slowdown, stuttering, freezing and possible crashes.

Adding more memory will help to alleviate the issue and is relatively cheap.   It will make very little difference to the video performance, i.e. playing games.

Adding a discrete video card with it's own memory will allow the OS to use most of the memory available, but, the following will have to be taken into account.

1.   the size of your case determins if and what size GPU you can install.   From this page, let us know which is your computer. > http://www.dell.com/...503508804498093

2.  Case airflow.    

3.  PSU.   Non have a PEG connection.   Power needs to be drawn from the PCI-e slot, max of 75w.   Best upgrade (depending on case) would be a GTX 750ti.

I would upgradew the RAM first and see how it performs.

Please use an online configureter like corsair, please post back the result.

Buy all new RAM, as mixing with your old stuff is not guaranteed to work.

This is what i think you need, but needs confirmation. > https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00A6UHZE8