Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer slow and hangs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
That's a tough one to analyze could be any program.

While you're here I'd like to up date or look at the drivers on the machine, I'll get back to you on that and I also have to call it a day.

In the mean time can we do this and I'll look at it in am

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

Advertisements

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Hi. I ran speccy here is the link. http://speccy.pirifo...bsJNFCV2co4bRD4. I don't know what happened but took a while for me to be able to click on speccy to open it,it seemed like computer wanted to lock up just didn't want to respond. Finally speccy opened but then it took a while to run. Also my volume control didn't want to work. I couldn't get the icon on task bar to open the volume control and there was a very loud piercing noise coming from speakers, finally was able to get it opened and to stop making noise with a few adjustments but volume and sound are very low now. I tried listening to a cd in cd/dvd drive but it wouldn't play the whole cd. There's around 28 songs on it and it only played 18 of them, then there was no no volume or sound coming from the other songs but could hear the drive still spinning. Finally ejected it and put cd in another player and it worked fine, so know it's not the cd. Also opened task manager and on performance I'm using 65 to 90 cpu usage and 75% of memory.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
Hello,

I'm using 65 to 90 cpu usage and 75% of memory.

Is this constant usage, is it showing like that all the time ?

Maybe time to consider taking the machine into a repair place, where a tech can actually have hands on and see more then I can. I also notice the Laptop has a recovery partition where you could consider restoring to factory settings.

Nothing glaring in the Speccy report that I can Identify.

Please answer the question about cpu usuage.

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi.  No not all the time but at least 50%

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
What about the little vents on the side of the laptop. Are they clear of dust an such ?

Does it ever feel hotter then normal ?

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi. No the vents are clean and not hot at all.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
Hello,

I've exhausted my abilities here, there is no Malware on the machine and everything I have done checks out.

No Malware
Disk is healthy
System files in place.

I can only suggest to take it in for a more comprehensive look at things.

Thanks
Joe :)

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi ok thank you very much for your time. I thought about looking into upgrading my ram but not sure how much I can upgrade to. And was wondering if I needed to upgrade any drivers.  

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
It looks like you can add up to 8GB to that machine, currently it has 3GB.

Here's a memory scanner that may help
http://www.crucial.c...n/systemscanner

To up date drivers you can use slimdrivers
http://www.driverupd...ivers-setup.exe Save the file to the desktop and run it.
This will scan the system for outdated drives, you will only be able to do 2 a day as it's the free version
Please be careful and only install Slim drivers, don't install slim cleaner as you will see that pop up on you, at the very bottom of that pop up click on No Thanks. Slim drivers should create a system restore point before up dating any driver in the event something goes wrong.

Pat_54

Pat_54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hi. I want to thank you very much for all the time you spent trying to help me. Computer seems to be pretty good right now. I'm going to try out the crucial to see if I can upgrade the ram, I think that will help a lot especially with some of these programs now they seem to use up a lot of memory and then try out the slim drivers and see if I need to update drivers, may be a little reason for some problems. When someone gives you a computer like this one for free which is only about 5 years old, I for one will gladly take. It is a nice computer but It was a mess and you never question what they did to it. I'm giving it to my grandson for schooling. I did manage to get it to boot and removed a lot of junk from it and with your help seems to be running pretty smoothly. But your job is well done here, it has been nice working with you and I greatly appreciate your time. Kudos to all of you who help people like us out of these messes. Hopefully if I need help in the future I can get as good of help as you have given me here. Thanks again. Patty  

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
You're welcome Patty.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thanks
Joe :)