Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sort of new build won't start up. CPU LED flashes. (Solved)

Best Answer Charles U Farlie , 19 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

Thank you both for your help. I got the new PSU and everything is working fine. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm building a new computer with mostly new parts. I'm using a new tower, a new AMD 8350 CPU with the stock cooling fan, a new Asus  M5 A99FX Pro R2.0 Motherboard, semi-used 8gbs (4gbsx2) Crucial Ballistix 1600 mem. (Semi-used from a previous build.) Used Ultra4 750w PSU. My problem is after checking that everything has been plugged in properly and securly (I've checked several times.) my computer won't start and the CPU LED flashes. I've checked the CPU several times. I don't see any bent or damaged pins. I've tried taking all the add-in cards and disconnecting the SATA cables and I get the same result. Thank you in advance for any help.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: Charles.

If you have the two main power cables properly seated, (24v main, to the right of the board, and the auxiliary 12v, top left of the board, and the CPU fan plugged into the CPU #1 fan header, the computer fails to boot.   If the CPU LED stays on steady, CPU fault, if flashes then goes out, You may have a short somewhere or a faulty CPU/MB.

I suggest you do a Bare Bones test, this will tell if the CPU and MB are OK.

Please take anti static measure before handling any parts or working inside the case by touching a metal part of the chases. 

Switch off the PSU, but leave plugged into the socket.

Remove all parts and cables from the MB,except the CPU, cooler and CPU fan plug.

Remove the MB and sit it on top of the MB box.

Connect the 2 main power cables, check the CPU fan is still plugged in.

Switch on the PSU and with a small screwdriver tip, briefly bridge the 2 power on pins located on the front panel header.

The PSU and CPU fans should start, the PSU fan may stop if it is as a "silent" one, but the CPU fan should keep spinning.   If a failure, post back, otherwise >>

Switch off the PSU, take anti static measure.   Number your sticks of RAM. 

Install one stick of RAM, consult the MB manual for the correct slot configuration. Boot to test.

Do the same test for the other stick using the same slot.   Post back if failures, otherwise, >>

Install both sticks in the correct slots, Boot to test then post back results. 

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I took everything off the motherboard and took it out and did as suggested and nothing moved and the CPU LED flashed. I thought that it might be the PSU so I have ordered a new one. This is the second motherboard that I've had this problem with. So my thought is that they couldn't have sent me two faulty motherboards in a row.

Edited by Charles U Farlie, 18 August 2016 - 05:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

I've checked the CPU several times. I don't see any bent or damaged pins.

Before replacing the cooler, did you completely remove all traces of the TIM from both the CPU and heatsink plate, then applied new TIM?

After the CPU LED flashes, does the CPU keep going, or stop?

Does the PSU fan keep going or stop?

Does the Standby PWR  LED on the MB stay lite, or go out?  MB manual, item #10 on the board layout, page #7.

You added to rply #3

I thought that it might be the PSU so I have ordered a new one. This is the second motherboard that I've had this problem with. So my thought is that they couldn't have sent me two faulty motherboards in a row.

You would be very unlucky to get 2 dud boards.   A faulty PSU is one reason why I asked the questions.   If you have access to a known working PSU to hook up and try, even a 300w would be enough, then test.  If still won't run, then possible just a TIM issue, (only takes a second or so for overheat trip to kick in), or problem CPU/MB.  

Edited by iammykyl, 18 August 2016 - 06:27 PM.
Additional infor.

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The standby power light stays on. None of the fans come on at all. The CPU LED flashes once and then goes out. I know it may sound dumb, but I didn't think to replace the TIM every time I removed the fan.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please see my edited post.

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I don't have an extra PSU at the moment. My new PSU should be arriving tomorrow.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Noted info about the PSU.

I would advise that before running the computer again, you remove the cooler, do a proper clean and apply new TIM.

You may be able to find one of these items locally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/500ml-Isopropyl-Alcohol-pure-ISOPROPANOL/dp/B00AMZ10SE or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

No need to take the CPU out of the socket, use a cotton bud to dampened with the solution, just make sure not to use to much and flood the socket.

After reassemble, you might like to try the original PSU, just to see if it actually is faulty, 

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I used the cleaning solution and reapplied the TIM and got the same result. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and see if the new PSU will help.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's a bummer.

Hopefully it boots with the new PSU, Test first, if not, as you have had a replacement board, same result.   Would only leave the CPU, probable DOA, so RMA.

Before doing so, clean it up then remove from the socket.,   This not likely, but can happen, inspect to see if a pin has actually snapped off.

Please let us know the results. 

Good luck. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks  :)

The standby power light stays on. None of the fans come on at all. The CPU LED flashes once and then goes out. I know it may sound dumb, but I didn't think to replace the TIM every time I removed the fan.

Sounds like the PSU is not activating for one reason or another, Charles, can you take a look at the two attachments and confirm for us that the connections are securely connected to the correct headers on the MB and that you are shorting out the correct pins on the MBs front panel header.

Edit;

Sorry forgot to include the following in my reply above, it would not stop the fans from activating but could result in a non booting computer, the FX 8350 will not work in a MB that does not have the appropriate BIOS update, see here

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you both for your help. I got the new PSU and everything is working fine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Phillpower2, always very happy to see your input. 

Thanks Charles for letting us know the outcome.

Good that it was just the PSU, even though it cost you.

If you don't already have it, download the latest ver of CPU-Z and check your RAM is running at 1600MHz. > http://www.cpuid.com...version-history

Any other issues, we are here to help. 

Charles U Farlie

Charles U Farlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It says that my DRAM Frequency is in the low 800's. My NB Frequency is around 2207.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Great news Charles, glad to hear that all is now well  :)

You are welcome iammykyl  :thumbsup: