Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System and Compressed Memory (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

My apologies NoobNewbie, had a bit of a memory lapse and had it in my head that you had Windows on C: and games + movies on D:   Something to keep in mind for the future, Windows is... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I have an Asus A455L, the most important thing here is, the specs is about 4gb RAM, 2.7Ghz and 1 TB HDD
I had been getting lags the past few months and I noticed a high system and compressed memory which I am not very sure of the cause although I did some research online which apparently did no help. The lags are getting worse sometimes I cant even use music player properly and browsers are the ones that gives me the most problems which I can actually understand why basically but I'm really annoyed with those problems. 

PS: I dont know if this helps, I play several medium graphics games on my PC such as, Dota 2, Black Ops 2, Modern Warfare 3 and Left 4 Dead. Also I have both local disks occupied at about half, C: (213gb free of 372gb), D: (217gb free of 537gb). Plus I heard that if you separate your games and files in different drives, it prevents a single disk being stressed too much which I did having disk C only for games and programs and D purely for movies. (Maybe fewsmall games like Devil May Cry 4)

I really need that problem being sorted out and I dont really have budget to buy a new computer which I still believe is not necessary. Thank you and just a reminder, I'm a real noob and newbie.

Edited by NoobNewbie, 22 August 2016 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   NoobNewbie,

With the exception of Left 4 Dead your base CPU speed of 1.7GHz does not meet the minimum requirements to run those games efficiently, they will run but play less than perfect, the Max Turbo Frequency of 2.7GHz is not available all of the time ( it peaks and drops) if the CPU were to run at such a speed for any length of time it would burn up so the thermal sensor throttles it back until it cools down, this will be when you notice the lag, there may be other factors causing even more problems so lets take a closer look at your system

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Check out Can You Run It here for any games requirement spec analysis.

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...B7SFSxoUf3fnCT0

Here you go, and by the way, does using a decent cooling pad helps the problem? Because when I was using the speccy I saw it detecting my hardware's temperature as well (which is high at about 66 degree C) and it crashed after few seconds when i tried to view other section then I had to force shut down and reboot.

Thanks alot.

Edited by NoobNewbie, 23 August 2016 - 09:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
does using a decent cooling pad helps the problem? 

Your CPU is safe at temps up to 100°C and while using a good quality fan type cooling pad will help with keeping temperatures down it will not help with high memory usage.

Things of note in your Speccy report;

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance This should be set to Balanced as high performance generates more heat, can cause instability and shorten the lifetime of the battery and other hardware.

Hibernation: Enabled Known to cause issues, is not of much use and should be disabled "how to" below;

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt type powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service is present on your computer, did you install this, regardless, uninstall it so that it cannot conflict with Avira.

Scheduler
All of the following are scheduled updates for your computer, other than Windows and your AV protection nothing should be set to update, this frees up system resources and avoids any potentially bad updates from being installed, HP updater is an odd one as no HP printer is detected by Speccy.

23/8/2016 8:21 PM;: RealDownloader Update Check
23/8/2016 8:25 PM;: HP Photo Creations Communicator
23/8/2016 8:32 PM;: Adobe Flash Player Updater
23/8/2016 8:36 PM;: WpsKtpcntrQingTask_user
23/8/2016 8:37 PM;: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-1001UA
23/8/2016 8:50 PM;: HPCustParticipation HP Deskjet 1510 series
23/8/2016 8:56 PM;: WpsUpdateTask_user
23/8/2016 10:11 PM;: WpsExternal_20160820180233
23/8/2016 11:19 PM;: RealDownloaderDownloaderScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-1001
24/8/2016 12:00 PM;: ASUS Live Update1
24/8/2016 4:00 PM;: Adobe Acrobat Update Task
24/8/2016 7:37 PM;: GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-1001Core
24/8/2016 10:19 PM;: RealDownloaderRealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-1001
6/9/2016 1:18 PM;: ASUS Live Update2
arp_flush
ASUS Smart Gesture Launcher
ASUS Splendid ACMON
ASUS USB Charger Plus
ATK Package 36D18D69AFC3
CCleanerSkipUAC
gg_uac_daemon_user
HP AR Program Upload - 82c9398978774f599f3b8c45bfce6f059236d7093bbd4a64bd7f5163ce6a4891
HP AR Program Upload - a53992736f2e4c6092a8cfc4c32c0222e16dc2d982ec454cbcfe18e07243a220
klcp_update
Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-1001
Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-500
RealDownloaderRealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-3629682279-369355380-760577635-1001
Update Checker

Windows updates are failing to install.

Physical Memory Your real problem at the moment;

Memory Usage: 90 %
Total Physical: 3.89 GB
Available Physical: 373 MB
Total Virtual: 6.61 GB
Available Virtual: 292 MB

Please make the suggested changes above, run Speccy again and post the updated url for us.

You are welcome btw  :)

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have one question, while I was doing that scanning or that speccy profile, I am actually watching movies online, I didn't know it would take that physical memory details too, so is it necessary to give you a new profile? And also even if I gave u a new profile (or not) how should I solve the high physical memory problem? Do I deleted stuffs to reduce background apps running or something? Because I noticed that the ability of my computer to run apps is getting poorer and poorer, for example, I tried to copy things to my computer and if I'm having my chrome running it would slow down the copying or when I'm watching videos from my external hard disk and surfing chrome, sometimes the video player I'm using just froze and the computer crashed. Also, I noticed the problem in the performance being accelerated dramatically after installing windows 10 (which is an automatic update when i left it on for few hours). And I recall an event where I clicked on some link on the internet and some window keep popping out since then which seem to be an ad, and it turns right back on even if i end that process. then I tried using antivirus or something to scan the computer and nothing was wrong, so I looked up the name of the process and found it's location and deleted it. I dont know if this information helps.

Sorry for the long talk, the main points are:

1) Do I need to send you a new profile?

2) How do I solve the physical memory problem?

3) Is that virus-like thing affecting my computer?

4) Also I keep getting the "Your computer is running low on memory" notifications not even when im playing games but when Im using google chrome

5) Also if this helps, I changed my paging file size is recommended at around 1.3gb, and Im currently allocated at 2gb, so I changed the inital size to 2gb and the maximum file size to 3gb. I dont know it that helps.

Thank you so much.

Edited by NoobNewbie, 23 August 2016 - 01:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
 so is it necessary to give you a new profile? 

Yes, I never ask for something if I do not think it will help.

How do I solve the physical memory problem?

Too soon to say, it could be a memory leak.

Is that virus-like thing affecting my computer?

It is not a virus like thing it is the opposite as in it is a sort of protection, the problem is that it could be conflicting with Avira as I explained.

Also I keep getting the "Your computer is running low on memory" notifications not even when im playing games but when Im using google chrome

That is to be expected when something is supposedly using up all of your RAM.

Also if this helps, I changed my paging file size is recommended at around 1.3gb, and Im currently allocated at 2gb, so I changed the inital size to 2gb and the maximum file size to 3gb. I dont know it that helps.

That is not the correct pagefile size, you have 4GB of RAM and the pagefile should be 1.5 Xs that so your maximum should be set at 6GB and the minimum should be 3372MB.

Use Task Manager to see what is eating up your RAM, in the search field on your task bar type in task manager, click on the Task Manager tab when it appears, grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks alot again, here's the new Speccy profile

http://speccy.pirifo...voabbRpPI3hH4DN

And...here's the screenshots taken

Details of processes using ram.jpg

Details of processes using ram 2.jpg

Details of processes using ram 3.jpg

Thanks. :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You will note that memory usage is now less than half of what it was previously which is a good start.

Two things still hogging memory, Broadcast DVR Server which is related to XBox and graphics software and System and Compressed Memory Service, there is possibly a Windows update that has already been released to address both issues so what I would suggest you do next is manually search for Windows 10 updates and try installing them one or two at a time.

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: As you have Windows 10 on a separate partition to your games I would be really tempted to just download a Windows 10 ISO and do a clean install of Windows 10 on the C: partition, after backing up any personal data that may be on the C: first of course.

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Umm I actually have my games mainly in C: and I have my movies and all in D:, so is it really necessary to do that ISO cuz I would have to move my big games files to another drive.

Also I noticed that after pressing download updates the update just freezes at 0% so i went to microsoft website where it said it detected update available so I downloaded it there, which seems to be just the same right?

Edited by NoobNewbie, 24 August 2016 - 10:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

My apologies NoobNewbie, had a bit of a memory lapse and had it in my head that you had Windows on C: and games + movies on D:  :blush:

Something to keep in mind for the future, Windows is always best installed on its own partition and from Windows 7 onward a partition size of 120GB or more is advised as it will allow for the many future security updates and OS upgrades such as 8.1 and 10, keeping Windows on its own partition helps protect Windows from becoming corrupt and avoids the need to reinstall any other programs and games etc should Windows crash and need to be reinstalled.

Regarding the Windows updates, they have been painfully slow for months, possibly due to the masses upgrading to Windows 10 for free before the July 29th date, there are many reports of update problems on computers that have upgraded from Windows 7 and 8.1 and most annoyingly of all some updates are needing to be left downloading and installing overnight only to find the next day that the install has hung at 99%, will not go any further meaning that the install needs to be aborted setting the user back to square one and being offered the same update and subsequent installation failure message, the very same thing is happening in your case;

Not Installed
23/8/2016 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607
Installation Status: Failed
Install the anniversary version of Windows.

Have you been able to manually install the version 1607 anniversary update.

Edit by phillpower2;

Question asked by member via PM;

I actually don't have the resource to download the new update yet cuz its too big and im not in India studying where they have internet quota. Im goin back to my country in about 8-10 days, is there anything else that i can do?

If you cannot download the update due to presently being on a metered connection then all that you can do is wait until you have no such download restrictions.

Advertisements

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thank you so much bro, I will try to slowly isolate my windows and game files in separate drives, and also I will update this post as soon as I go back to my country during my holidays.

Again, Thanks alot!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome NoobNewbie  :)

I will try to slowly isolate my windows and game files in separate drives, 

That is exactly what I would do, it will be tedious though and please keep in mind that games and programs cannot be copied from one drive to another, they contain dlls and exe files that do not travel well.

Are your games playing any better now that the memory usage has dropped, would you like to try and get the memory use lower again.

NoobNewbie

NoobNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

So how should I transfer the games then? Does games like call of duty and left 4 dead, etc can be transferred just purely by cut and paste, and we need to do more for steam games? (I got my games other than dota from nosteam.ro)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As per my reply #12 above;

please keep in mind that games and programs cannot be copied from one drive to another, they contain dlls and exe files that do not travel well.

Games and programs cannot be copied and would need reinstalling, Steam games I would have thought would have saved points stored on the Steam database but would suggest that be confirmed by asking on the Steam forums.

I also asked;

Are your games playing any better now that the memory usage has dropped, would you like to try and get the memory use lower again.

The assistance is meant to be two way here, you help me to help you by answering the questions asked  ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you NoobNewbie, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.