Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-formatting

• Please log in to reply

Eyther

Eyther

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I had received help from your website before and I wondered if you could help me with this topic as well.

I need to completely re-format my computer. I want to do a total take down and re-format. Can you tell me how to accomplish this? I know how to get the stuff back on the computer, I just don't know how to take it all the way down.

Thank you,
Eyther

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You don't say what the file system is but perhaps the fastest way to cover most bases is to boot with a 9x boot floppy and FDISK /MBR followed by FDISK and delete all the partitions. Then if you are still going to use XP as is indicated in your signature OS - format your drive with the XP CD.

:tazz:

Note: (extra little tidbit) If the drive was originally setup using a drive overlay or was part of a RAID array, jumper it as a slave, put it in a different computer and then FDISK it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The quickest and easiest way to do it is to just put a win xp cd in and select the reformat option. It is the easiest way and i have had to do it a few times myself its not hard you just reinstall the os and re-register.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

The quickest and easiest way to do it is to just put a win xp cd in and select the reformat option

Unfortunately, that doesn't cover drive overlays, third party utilities or some of the more complex boot loaders - it will work just fine however if the drive was originally setup using windows only tools.

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I only ever used the windows only tools, so i never had a problem with it. If you only want to get rid off all that miscelaneoud crap that you collect over time its the easiest way to do it.