Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure if this is a virus or not. (Please Help!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Htimez2

Htimez2

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

I have not really had any problems with my computer, everything seems to run fine and open etc. but when  I went to add an exclusion to kaspersky I noticed file and folder names are not normal/ what they should be, they look like this https://postimg.org/image/pcqrkalu5/  not sure what the deal is and why the file names look like that etc. Does anyone know what this is, and if so how do I fix it. Thanks in advance for the help! virus or what.png

Edited by Htimez2, 07 September 2016 - 04:19 PM.

Advertisements

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I ran malwarebytes and this was the scan results. 

Attached Files

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
RE:

Your attachment

All the files for whatever reason are missing information

The "white question mark in black diamond is a REPLACEMENT CHARACTER used to replace an unknown or unrepresentable character.

The replacement character � (often a black diamond with a white question mark or an empty square box) is a symbol found in the Unicode standard at codepoint U+FFFD in the Specials table. It is used to indicate problems when a system is unable to render a stream of data to a correct symbol. It is usually seen when the data is invalid and does not match any character:

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Why do all the files seem fine and everything runs fine, yet they look like that when viewed in Kaspersky applications activity? Like kasperksy says file missing, but all those apps etc seem to run fine and are fully accessible when I try to open any of them? Thanks for the fast response and all your help is much appreciated, this whole thing is kind of freaking me out, thinking a virus or something is causing it but do not know enough about this code etc to make a determination.

Edited by Htimez2, 07 September 2016 - 04:50 PM.

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

DO you think uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky might fix it, or would that be a waste, ps I ran ccleaner registry fix and hit fixed issues, but did not seem to make a difference. 

Edited by Htimez2, 07 September 2016 - 04:50 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Never run registry fixes never.

It appears to be a glitch in kaspersky anti virus, perhaps a reinstall of kaspersky anti virus would fix it, or take it up with kaspersky support.

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Do you think it is a virus causing this, or some sort of weird corruption? ( the HDD's are pretty new) Also do you know why the folder names are either that weird" _1\.211.2403.0.exȩ$\c<d<=]<z\

w@dp\y_\:o-^-^-"  or "_1\pministub.\" WHYen I view the files through window explorer I do not see any of these names or symbols. 

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

edit

Edited by Htimez2, 07 September 2016 - 04:57 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Lets take a look at the computer, I can see your concerned about things. That above looks harmless, never the less I'll look at 2 log reports from you and check all the computer.

To do that

Everything gets download to the desktop and tools are "Run as administrator."

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it. So last question, in your opinion it is not a viurs and just an issue with kaspersky?

Advertisements

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

And I will start doing the scan you mentioned now. 

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

here are the scans 

Edited by Htimez2, 07 September 2016 - 05:39 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I need 20 mins to look at those, and I'll get back to you.

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Also for the past couple days I have had small issues with kaspersky like it saying it could not activate active monitoring etc. Not sure what messed it up, but was thinking maybe it was a virus although after some finagling I have not had an error message from kasperksy today, but did have an issue as mentioned roughly twice over the past few days. 

Htimez2

Htimez2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

K, thank you.