Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP takes long time to shutdown (Resolved).

Best Answer Jackpine , 26 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Hi phillpower2, Before I followed your instructions, I completed a game that I was playing and then deleted it from my computer. When I shutdown, everything worked as it was supposed to, i.e., the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Greetings,  I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem.

For the last couple of weeks (for no apparent reason), my computer takes a lot longer to shutdown than it used to take.

The way things used to be: I click on the Start button, then click on log off.  A window appears that says "Saving settings."  After maybe 5 or 10 seconds, another window would appear with a button to shutdown.  I click on the shutdown button and everything shuts down after another few seconds.

The way things are now:  Everything as before, except approximately 2 minutes passes from the time the "Saving setting" message appears until the shutdown button appears.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Jackpine,

When you next use the computer and are then ready to shut down check Task Manager to see what/if anything is running that may explain the slow shut down time/s.

To access the the Windows Security dialog box and Task Manager press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Let us know what is running when you are trying to log out of Windows.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
✓  Best Answer
Hi phillpower2,

Before I followed your instructions, I completed a game that I was playing and then deleted it from my computer. When I shutdown, everything worked as it was supposed to, i.e., the 2 minute lag between "saving setting" and shutdown was gone. I restarted and shutdown again, and the process as still normal. I guess the game I was playing was the cause for the lagging.

Thanks for responding to my question, but I don't believe I need any further assistance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Jackpine,

Thanks for the update and hopefully resolving the issue yourself  :thumbsup:

See how things go and any re-occurrence let us know here, if we don`t hear back from you after a week or so we can mark your thread as resolved.