Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mini Router (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

Csauter, Work computers will normally have at least one administrator who oversees their maintenance and security, this is the person that you need to ask the question of but fwiw... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Csauter

Csauter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks. Quick device question. I do not have wifi at my work, yet my office computer is hardwired for the internet connection. I am looking for a small adapter to plug into the ethernet port, and have the ethernet cable plug in to it, in order to give off a low range of wifi.
Most devices I see just take the ethernet cord to give off a signal, but do not continue to plug in the the computer.
Also, i believe because of administrative restrictions, I would not be able to install one of those small usb hotspot plugs.
Thank you for reading.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Csauter,

Work computers will normally have at least one administrator who oversees their maintenance and security, this is the person that you need to ask the question of but fwiw any wireless USB dongle needs a compatible wireless router to connect to, Ethernet cable connection into the wireless router, wireless router puts out a wireless signal that is picked up by the USB dongle but before being able to connect to the internet the user of the USB dongle will have to enter an SSID and security password for the ISP.