Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Connection Icon - System Tray has a red 'X', but I

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

So, an annoying problem has cropped and is not going away.  I have Windows 7 Professional x64 and the icon in the system tray that shows whether or not I am connected to the Internet has a red X through it.  It appears randomly and stays for several seconds to several minutes.  Thing is, when it appears, I am connected and actively using the Internet.  If I click on the icon and open the Network and Sharing Center, the X disappears.

My PC is hardwired to the modem, so not a wireless connection.  I have searched online for solutions, but what I have found so far always refers to a wireless connection.  I have never seen this happen before until just recently; problem started two days ago. 

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

Edited by Webslinger64, 07 October 2016 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,692 posts
Good luck with that problem. I never could resolve my problem with the red x, I eventually hid the icon and installed a program called network indicator that creates its own icon and provides some network information.

However I just came upon this site today that Discuses the issue, I never saw this site in my search when trying to fix my own issue months ago.
https://ttcshelbyvil...icon-windows-7/

I may try some of the suggestions offered.

Joe

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Have you install the latest ethernet card driver?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,692 posts
Not sure if Webslinger64 tried that.

I know I did and that's pretty much when the problem occurred, I had adapter problems originally so the red x was a valid signal at that point. Replaced network card as the onboard adapter failed and installed new driver and the red x remains.

Windows Home 32Bit, desktop.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Not sure if Webslinger64 tried that.

I know I did and that's pretty much when the problem occurred, I had adapter problems originally so the red x was a valid signal at that point. Replaced network card as the onboard adapter failed and installed new driver and the red x remains.

Windows Home 32Bit, desktop.

If you are connection to network with wireless connection then wireless profile could be corrupted you can delete all wireless profiles from Network and Sharing Center.

Also uninstall network card driver and install latest network driver or previous network card driver.