Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Widows XP is being a pain in the rear

• Please log in to reply

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Pip
  • 8 posts
<_<

And all this time I thought I was a geek that could fix things like this. I now see the error of my ways and yield to the superior geek knowledge of this site.

Here is the problem.

when starting my computer I get the following message...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt....vgaoem.fon

I have a copy of knoppix laying around so i'm still able to boot knoppix and search the internet for an answer. I looked at microsofts site and it says to do the following...

Inser the windows xp disc and run the recovery console. I did this and then you type..

map

expand drive:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ drive:\windows\system blah blah blah... where "drive" is your cd rom and hard drive.

The command seems to run successfully but after awhile times out and gives the following message..

"access is denied"

can anyone help?

I also tried using knoppix to copy the vgaoem.fon file from the i386 directory on the win xp disc and manually place it inthe windows system folder to no avail. I'm running out of ideas. I really don't want to re-format becasue I have no way to back up the data on the hard drive. For some reason I can't copy and paste to my spare hard drive with knoppix it just gives an error message.

Do you guys think the hard drive is fried?

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Welcome to GTG thefunkyone <_<

You're in luck! It just so happens that Microsoft has released a support page for your specific problem :D
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=315338

I'm sure you're geeky enough to follow the instructions. :D

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks man, but as i've already explained. I was at microsofts site and followed their instructions. After typing all that stuff in at the command prompt all I get is "access denied"

<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I've attached vgaoem.fon to this post. Just download it to a floppy and copy it using the command promt in recovery console. <_<

copy a:vgaoem.fon c:\windows\system

Attached Files

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
<_<

Thanks man, I appreciate it.....but, when I try to copy I just get the error "access is denied"....... any other suggestions?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Make sure you are using and administrator account or an account with write privileges, that may be why your access is denied.

-=jonnyrotten=-

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, now I feel really stupid....but...how do I check to make sure I am logged on as the administrator? This is my personal computer and I am the only user... I would assume that my account is the admin account but I could be wrong. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
It may have been changed in the past by somebody else or something, I couldn't tell ya. It may not even be that at all, I'm just guessing before any drastic measures are taken that may have been avoided. I would go into windows and go to control panel, users, and click "add new user" Create user with administrator rights. If you are unable to do this then you are not logged on as an administrator. If you are able to create the account, then reboot. Log in as that user and try to fix your problem again. See what happens. You can also boot in safe mode and when the type username and password box pops up type "administrator" for the username and If you never set a password then you probably don't have one yet. Also you can click start, run, and type "mmc" then click file, add/remove snap in. Click add click on "local users and groups" and add that in and click ok. Then doubleclick on what you have just added in the windows explorer type screen and Users, and Groups should drop down below it or in the pane on the right. Right click users and click properties you can then see all the built accounts and all the created user accounts on your pc. You can mess around with them from there, create and change passwords, create new users, etc.....

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Great explanation Johnny <_<

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's cool, I wish I could do that...but the problem right now is I can't get into windows at all...safe mode or otherwise... it just loads the bios, tries to load windows and the screen goes black with the following message.

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. vgaoem.fon

that's why i'm using knoppix to surf the net right now.....it's my only connection to the outside world..haha

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If you have the xp disc you can boot with that in the drive and run a "repair" install. When you do that windows will compare all the files that are installed with the ones on the disc and replace all missing or corrupted files. I think you will lose all your windows updates, but you can download them again. The good part is you won't your apps and saved work, etc...

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There's a guide on performing a repair installation here:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

Or, you could use the XP CD to boot to the recovery console, and copy the file using the command prompt... copy a:vgaoem.fon c:\windows\system

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:D

well, I appreciate the help guys but nothing seems to be working. I think I will install an old 6.4 gig hard drive in this pc as the master and install win xp on that. Then try and transfer all my important data to it from the current main hard drive. then I will format and re-install windows xp. Hopefully the whole hard drive isn't fired because I had some pretty important stuff on it.

<_< :D :P

thefunkyone

thefunkyone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
<_< :D :D :P :o :D

WOO HOO!!! I'm back baby! My plan worked! Better then I thought too!

I took an old 6.4 gig hard drive and formated it and installed windows xp. then I installed my 60 gig (the one I was having trouble with the vgaoem.fon thing) as a slave. Well, upon startup windows xp noticed a problem with the slave hard drive. (the one I was having trouble with) It ran a check disk program automatically and replaced all the missing or corrupt files! there was more then just the vgaoem file too. I think there were around 12 total. anyhow after this was done I shut down the pc took out the 6.4 gig and re-inserted the 60 gig as the master and bada bing bada boom.... the pc started up like nothing was ever wrong with it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just wanted to say again how greatful I am for everyone that responded though. Even though in the end I managed to fix the problem myself you guys offered some great tips and are obciously very knowledgeable about computers. So again thanks!

c-ya'll later!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Nice job you're back in business alright!

-=jonnyrotten=-
<_<