Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

frequent reboots or shut offs while using computer.

• Please log in to reply

robirdman

robirdman

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Doesn't happen every usage, but sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day.

How can I test RAM or power supply as potential causes?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Keep a look out for any pattern in the behaviour such as if it happens when the computer is under load, demanding work such as CAD or anything graphic intensive etc.

Physically testing the RAM is more accurate than relying solely on any program and conclusively testing a PSU without the correct bench equipment is not possible, we can check for telltale clues that a PSU may have issues using HWMonitor and Speedfan and I would suggest that you do that first before physically testing the RAM.

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

phillpower2, thanks for the reminder of speedfan, I just installed it on my work laptop  :)

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Is this a desktop or a laptop?  I'm asking because several laptops I have run into would suddenly shut off without warning because the proc area got so hot that the automatic shutdown was activated; recommended using usb-connected cooling fan assemblies [worked for my two laptops and I think a couple of posters said likewise].  For desktops in a warm room, I have a table fan that circulates the air -- it is on every time the desktop is one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you robirdman, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I just saw that there is a reply.  I don't get notices, and have to go each time and find my post.  I am on my laptop now and will try checking the PC tomorrow. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Check that you are set to receive email notifications in control panel;

Click on your user name at the top of the page.

Click on my settings.

In the profile settings box to the left click on Notification Options.

Make sure that the relevant Email boxes to the far right of the page have a tick in them.

You are welcome btw  :)  

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Just wanted to let you know I am working on this.  the procedure demonstrates some of the problems with the computer.  It speedfan was already on the computer and I ran it an had a picture.  But on this computer, there is a large blank area where you picture is supposed to be.  This frequently happens when I am viewing site where a picture is supposed to be.  So I went to my laptop to look at your picture, and then came back to follow up.  But now my speedfan picture was gone, after I went to use the snipping tool that usually works best for me.  I alt-tab through everything without seeing it, so I did a search for speedfan and it found none.  then I went to your link to download again and it said I could do with my browser or to get Flash upgrade.  I did the latter, got the speedfan.exe file, and clicked it and it said it is already running. So it is running, I had the image and can't view it, and I can't start over.  Still working on this.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

HWMonitor1.JPG speedfan.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The bottom half of the HWMonitor info is not showing so we can only go on what we can see;

From the info shown above we can see the following;

You have high temps for a computer that is not under any load.

You have high CPU usage for a computer that is not under any load.

Voltages with the exception of one look ok but all may change significantly when you are multitasking etc, the +5VCCH is showing to be too low, sometimes called the +5V VSB (voltage stand by) this powers the USB ports and MB when the computer is in stand by mode.

At least one of your HDDs is overheating to the extent that it will cause problems.

Can you do the following for us please;

Post the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Put the computer under the best load that you can, grab only new HWMonitor screenshots and then upload all of the available info for us.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you robirdman, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Is there something here explaining why I don't receive notifications? I will try to follow up as you suggested.GTG notifications.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Similar to my settings but I have the Auto Follow topics set to immediate whereas yours is set to none, other than that very little difference.

Can you respond to the info post in my reply #10 for us so that I can take a look when I finish work later.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

PSU andpsu.jpg psu.jpg 2 HDMonitor shots attached.

I opened Premiere Pro video program, and Cubase Audio software, my 2 biggest consumer of power.  I tried to get a snip while playing, but every time I alt tab to go to the HDMonitor, the playback stops.  though I didn't notice much of a change in the readings..

HDMonitor2a.JPG HDMonitor2b.JPG

Edited by robirdman, 07 November 2016 - 09:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That PSU is so old and of such poor quality that I would not trust it as a doorstop, a 500W PSU that is potentially 9 years old, can actually only produce 360W, only had a two year warranty when new and does not even have a 80% efficiency rating should not be used anywhere near your HDDs if you value the data on them, the RS-500-PCAR-A3 /-PCAP-A3 at the link here is the same as yours and if you check the same PSU at the link here you will see it was classed as a Fail when tested, you need to replace the PSU with a quality brand PSU that can actually produce nearer the claimed 500W and is a minimum of bronze rated, if you really must use the computer in the meanwhile disconnect as many HDDs as you can to ease the load on the PSU before it goes pop on you.

Just so that you are aware, the PSU has two +12V rails rated at 18 amps each, divide the total power output of 360W by 12V and you get 30 amps which = 15 per 12V rail, one +12V rail and 15 amps is taken up by the CPU leaving you with the second 12V rail and 15 amps to power your video card and multiple HDDs etc.