Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drag & drop deletes original file

• Please log in to reply

jcallis

jcallis

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Using Windows 2000 server

When accessing files from server 1 and dropping to a folder on server 2 the original files are being deleted. I see a progress bar that shows the files are being copied so I am certain they are not being moved. It will only happen when dragging and dropping. It does not happen if you use copy/paste to perform the function. This does not happen everytime but enough to cause a problem.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this would be appreciated.

John

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
stuck shift key resulting in a move rather than copy--I know what you saw, but there is no reason what you described should happen otherwise--it's too fundamental a process to be screwed up

jcallis

jcallis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The control key gets used to randomly select these files. Maybe it causes the shift key to get depressed. Other than that no keys are pressed to select the files.

I'll try some canned air on the keyboard and see what happens.

Thanks,
John