Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing update for AMD APU disruptes computer (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

Only two things that I am seeing in Speccy is that the +5V rail on the PSU is too high and something is hogging your RAM with 83% of it being taken up by something, both will affect performance but... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Computer:

Motherboard:  MSI A88X-G43 FM2/FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D-4) HDMI

APU:  AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Core 2C+4G 3.50GHz

Mem:  2 G Skill Ripjaws 2GB 240-pin DDR3  (4GB total)

HD:  Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB, 7200 RPM 64MB Cache, SATA 6.0 Gbs, 305" internal

External WD back-up: WD 10EZEX 1TB, 7200 RPM (My Passport)

Windows 8.1 on CD with license upgraded to Win 10 Home

Malwarebytes Premium

Windows Defender

No WIFI by choice

DSL provider Frontier 12

Problem:  A pop-up showed on screen from AMD indicating that an up-grade for my processor had been downloaded and was ready for installation, I clicked on the details button for a review of the up-grades and as one of the items being up-graded was Crimson and I knew that Crimson was installed when I installed my APU A6-7400K Radeon R5 but with a small printed box "not previously installed"

I decided not to install the up-grades and started to move the mouse cursor to the decline button but as I moved over the start button toward decline I must have inadvertently applied pressure on the left buttom for the up-grade began installing.  The installation proceeded for about 10 minutes then went to restart.  When windows restarted everything about the display had changed.  Windows Desktop screen no longer displays, All display defaults had changed, Adobe Flashplayer no longer works in Google Chrome but Flashplayer works on Firefox after reloading plug-in, several functions in "Open Office" program no longer work though some functions have returned with re-installing program.  I checked programs installed through Control Panel but the entries for AMD showed that the program was all installed on the day I installed the up-grades and I was afraid to uninstall the program completely as AMD is the provider of the video for my computer so I went to the restore point the day before the installation hoping that the up-grade would be removed when restore completed, but nothing changed.  I went to the AMD site seeking advice but could not find any information to help.  I am lost as to what to do to get my computer  back to running as before.  This has been going on since 10-23-16 and has been in the waiting room since 10-27-16 as  "If it's not Malware, Virus, or Spyware, Save Me!"  I ran FRST 11-6-16 and the text page and addition are attached below.

Sid B

Attached File  FRST.txt   188.82KB   342 downloadsAttached File  Addition.txt   35.41KB   406 downloads

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Have you tried opening "device manager" and using roll back driver?  That will roll back the driver to it's previous version.

control panel, hardware and sound, device manager then highlight the device and choose properties then click the driver tab and choose rollback driver.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Holy CowZ

The drivers located through device manager for AMD (3 drivers) were dated 7-6-16 and 6-12-15 and were all dated months or year before the up-grade installation on 10-24-16 and that method of roll-back does not address the FRST text and addition reports expansive list of items that are suspicious on my computer.  All I know for sure is that Malwarebytes deep scan reports no objects detected.

But thanks for at least trying to help.

Sid

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Your welcome sid. :) If your worried about malware then post in the malware section and have a G2G take a look as this is the wrong place for malware. :)

Post here:

http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

What to do:

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Your title for your problem was why I first suggested what i did.

"Installing update for AMD APU disrupts computer function"

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Paul

Edited by HolyCowZ, 11 November 2016 - 01:55 PM.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Holy CowZ,

Paul,  I originally posted this problem on the Malware site on Oct 27 under the heading "If it's not Malware, spyware or virus, Save me!"  I got no reply in 5 days so the text & problem were transferred to the "waiting room", after 6 more days with no reply I took the recommendation of the waiting room protocol to resubmit my problem as a new problem.  As I was sure that the download which was installed was from a very safe site "AMD" I felt the problem was not malware, spyware, or virus.  So I ran FRST and included the text & addition documents with my original post.  I ran FRST again before I resubmitted the second post in the waiting room and included the second text & addition documents with that post.  I feel I have followed all the correct procedures for posts to geeks-to-go and am very disappointed I have not been able to receive a response that led to some resolution to my problem with this computer.  I built this computer in April of 2013 and enjoyed a tremendous wealth of information from geeks-to-go members on which motherboard, APU, memory, Hard disk drive and peripherals as well as the community of working with others on a project that created a bond between disparate parties.  I've enjoyed G2G for several years, but have not shared much for the past three years as I have had very little trouble with my computer since I first went on line with it and I am not as familiar with new computer tech knowledge to offer advice to others.  My first computer training was with hardwired, punch-card reading IBM machines in the 60's.

Sid

Edited by oldrailroadgeek, 14 November 2016 - 07:18 AM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I know what you mean about wait times I also had this happen to me. Seems to be happening to others to as in the link below.

http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Holy Cowz,

Paul,

Thanks for transferring my topic to "applications" for me.  I hope somebody can help solve this problem for me.  I appreciate your attempt to guide me to the right forum.

Sid

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello folks,

We need to start afresh here oldrailroadgeek as the logs you posted are not used outside of the malware removal forums;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Phillpower2

I hope I have completed speecy correctly  URL extension: ...results/ MVMou8rkMyPmE23l54cqI4x

http://speccy.pirifo...MyPmE23l54cqI4x

Sid

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Only two things that I am seeing in Speccy is that the +5V rail on the PSU is too high and something is hogging your RAM with 83% of it being taken up by something, both will affect performance but normally in different ways.

What I suggest first;

Create a new restore point.

Run the AMD autodetect tool here

If the issue is still not resolved;

Create a new restore point.

Run the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility, details here

Again run the AMD autodetect tool here and test.

BTW, I am not entirely convinced that this is purely a driver issue. 

Advertisements

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Phillpower2

The first AMD driver check indicated I had the correct driver installed.  After uninstalling the AMD system and restarting I went to the AMD installer and had the correct systems reinstalled and restarted.  I still do not have the desktop page, I still do not have the minimize box or the hide line in the upper right corner of firefox screen but do have both items on google now.  Live streaming has returned to google.  My stereo speakers on my monitor are now functional and I do not have to use external speakers.

I may have made a mistake when I ran Speccy,  I was live streaming Fox News Live on Firefox during the snapshot.

I must agree with you that the driver was probably not my problem.  What can I do about the 5V being high?

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me solve this problem!

Sid

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies oldrailroadgeek I could have put that better when I said "I am not entirely convinced that this is a driver issue." I should have said I am not convinced that this is entirely a driver issue  :whistling:

You did have issues with the AMD drivers and the suggested steps have resolved that, I suspect that what you are left with is a browser issue and that would be best addressed on the Web Browsers and Email forum here the two issues are totally unrelated, you would get more appropriate assistance on the correct forum and continuing here would be going off topic which is not in keeping with good forum practice.

We can check your PSU voltages but would first recommend that you check in Task Manager to see what is shown to be using up so much of your RAM, take a look and let us know what you find if you will, right click on the Cortana/search field on the taskbar and the drop down box should give you the Task Manager option.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Phillpower2

At this time 60% of memory in use; biggest users are   Windows Processes (29) Antimalware 38.5 MB 

Background processes (47)    Firefox plugins 194.3 MB;  Malwarebytes   79.4 MB;  Google chrome  83.5 MB;

Google chrome  56.3 MB;    Apps  (5) Windows explorer  25.2MB;  google chrome  28.9MB;  Firefox  91.8 MB

The rest of the 81 identified users of memory  were all single digits or as high as 17 MB.

I hope these mean more to you than they do to me.  I do not use Windows explorer at all,  I am live streaming on google,  Firefox is only opened to G2G;  Malwarebytes is set to scan once daily at 10:00am.

Sid

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

High memory usage for what is shown above, we can check the CPU usage to see how that looks, details below;

Can I ask why you need more than one browser, it really is not necessary and is using up resources without any gain.

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Phillpower2

I have used Firefox for many years and trust using Bing as the search engine.  I began using Google when I built this PC in '13 because it seemed to give better streaming for my TV viewing.  Google search engine never seems to find the same results as Bing and I cannot seem to lock Bing in as my default in Google Chrome.  I usually log off Firefox in the evenings when I use the PC mainly as a TV set.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU Usage.jpg