Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VGA coolers for Geforce 6800 GS? (Resolved).

Geforce 6800 GS

Best Answer phillpower2 , 13 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Not heard back from you Formido, would appreciate it if you could let us know if we have satisfactorily answered your question. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Formido

Formido

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Anyone remember which VGA coolers fit Geforce 6800 GS (512MB, PCIe)?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Something like the example here out of stock at Newegg but for a compatibility check see Specifications here and lowest US price I could find here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Not heard back from you Formido, would appreciate it if you could let us know if we have satisfactorily answered your question.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Something like the example here out of stock at Newegg but for a compatibility check see Specifications here and lowest US price I could find here

Many thanks for your assistance. I was hoping for a more compact vga cooler, but at this point I'll do whatever it takes to make it fit. I asked this question on a handful of forums...this is the only one I got an actual answer, and not sass!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the follow up Formido  :thumbsup:

Answering any genuine question with anything other than a constructive answer is poor forum etiquette, something that I am proud to say you will not see at GTG.

Good luck.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Sorry, forgot I had posted here. Can't tell for sure but this cooler looks pretty big...I can't use anything that will block any PCIe or RAM slots. What do you think? Will this one fit the bill? I can probably track one down if yes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Honest answer is that we cannot say for sure as we have no way of knowing what you have in the PCIe slots or how many RAM slots are in use, please advise, it would also help if you could post the MB brand and model name or number for us, this will give us a better idea of how much wiggle room you may or may not have. 

BTW: Your thread was marked as being resolved because it had been marked as answered if not by yourself then I have no idea by whom  :headscratch:

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Honest answer is that we cannot say for sure as we have no way of knowing what you have in the PCIe slots or how many RAM slots are in use, please advise, it would also help if you could post the MB brand and model name or number for us, this will give us a better idea of how much wiggle room you may or may not have. 

BTW: Your thread was marked as being resolved because it had been marked as answered if not by yourself then I have no idea by whom  :headscratch:

When I first looked into what was suggested, I found a pro review that called it "Compact", so I was sold, and marked it 'solved'. Then when I went to buy it I noticed the buyer reviews at Amazon, Newegg, etc., calling it "huge", saying it blocked one or more RAM or PCIe slots, and one saying it was so heavy it made his motherboard "sag". I was no longer sold! Geforce 6800 GS does not run that hot to need a giant cooler. I want all my slots open and unblocked for future expansion. I need a compact VGA cooler...or maybe I should just ask which is the absolute smallest cooler that fits this graphics card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
it would also help if you could post the MB brand and model name or number for us, this will give us a better idea of how much wiggle room you may or may not have. 

Due to the limitation of the availability of such coolers knowing the above may not help us any but then again it just might.

I went to buy it I noticed the buyer reviews at Amazon, Newegg, etc., calling it "huge", saying it blocked one or more RAM or PCIe slots,

Sorry but until your reply #6 when you said "I can't use anything that will block any PCIe or RAM slots." we were not aware, had we known this the Zalman cooler would not have been suggested as when I read the Zalman user manual to check compatibility with your Geforce 6800 GS I noted the following;

By installing this product on a VGA (Video Graphics Array) card, a PCI slot adjacent to the PCIe (or AGP) slot will become unusable. 

As we had not heard back from you since November 17th 2016 and the thread had been marked as solved we were not aware that there was any issue and thought that all was well.

I noticed the buyer reviews at Amazon, Newegg, etc., calling it "huge", saying it blocked one or more RAM or PCIe slots, and one saying it was so heavy it made his motherboard "sag".

Would love to see the users post that says "it was so heavy it made his motherboard "sag". have you got a link.

I need a compact VGA cooler...or maybe I should just ask which is the absolute smallest cooler that fits this graphics card?

Along with your MB details can you also tell us the brand of your Geforce 6800 GS 512MB card and if the cards present cooling fan is working or not.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Anonymous
  • 10/14/2008 10:01:20 PM
  • Ownership: 2/5
  • Verified Owner

Rating: 4/5Did EXACTLY what I needed it to.

This review is from: ZALMAN VF900 – CU 2 Ball VGA Cooler

Pros: My Sapphire x1950 pro 512mb was starting to overheat with the stock cooler. 50c - idling and 70-74c - peak. I fiddled around with some software and then decided to buy the Zalman. After an incredibly easy and VERY secure installation, I'm running 39c - idling and 54-57c - peak. Great hardware for the price!

Cons: Just a few minor things. The tape on the heatsinks for the VGAs takes a while to cure (about a day). Be careful not to pop one of them off during installation. Also, the whole assembly is pretty heavy. My card doesn't "bend" necessarily, though there is a subtle-but-visible droop. Make sure you secure the card firmly in the slot. If you're card is really tall, I could foresee some issues. The thermal grease it comes with is kind of cheap, I recommend any kind of silver thermal.

Other Thoughts: This with a Zalman CPU cooler, looks pretty sweet in a rig. Gotta love that copper heatsink design!

it would also help if you could post the MB brand and model name or number for us, this will give us a better idea of how much wiggle room you may or may not have. 

Due to the limitation of the availability of such coolers knowing the above may not help us any but then again it just might.

I went to buy it I noticed the buyer reviews at Amazon, Newegg, etc., calling it "huge", saying it blocked one or more RAM or PCIe slots,

Sorry but until your reply #6 when you said "I can't use anything that will block any PCIe or RAM slots." we were not aware, had we known this the Zalman cooler would not have been suggested as when I read the Zalman user manual to check compatibility with your Geforce 6800 GS I noted the following;

By installing this product on a VGA (Video Graphics Array) card, a PCI slot adjacent to the PCIe (or AGP) slot will become unusable. 

As we had not heard back from you since November 17th 2016 and the thread had been marked as solved we were not aware that there was any issue and thought that all was well.

I noticed the buyer reviews at Amazon, Newegg, etc., calling it "huge", saying it blocked one or more RAM or PCIe slots, and one saying it was so heavy it made his motherboard "sag".

Would love to see the users post that says "it was so heavy it made his motherboard "sag". have you got a link.

I need a compact VGA cooler...or maybe I should just ask which is the absolute smallest cooler that fits this graphics card?

Along with your MB details can you also tell us the brand of your Geforce 6800 GS 512MB card and if the cards present cooling fan is working or not.

I have these boards in my parts-bank:

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

GA-MA770-DS3P

GA-MA790X-UD4

GA-MA790x-UD4P

GA-MA790FX-DS5

GA-MA790FX-UD5P

Custom build shop tested all, and each is in working order. I've no preference, so if you think one is easier to fit, I'll use it. I have not gotten the RAM yet..if you think the 'low-profile' sort is good idea, let me know what to buy. I would prefer G.SKILL or Crucial if possible, and I want 8GB.

I'm sure there is lots I forgot to mention. Devil in the (forgotten) details. I picked these motherboards for many reasons, one being max number of useable slots, so not keen to sacrifice any for gargantuan CPU or VGA coolers. Don't think Geforce card needs a giant cooler, but not sure about the Phenom x4 9750 (95w). Scythe Mugen 4 was smallest I could find...not sure if it will block slots or not. As for buyer who said it made his board sag, I couldn't find it again but this review on Newegg seems to mention it: