Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update no stopped working (Resolved).

Best Answer Leif W. , 24 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

HI, Well I have good news.  The updates started work again.  Not sure why.  I tried several different steps.  I'm not sure what worked.Here's what I did Type following... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Leif W.

Leif W.

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi,

For some reason, Windows update no stopped working.  I get notified when updates are available as always.  However, when I go to download an install selected updates, a window appears saying "Downloading updates (0kb total 0% complete)."  It never progresses beyond 0%.  I did not change/install anything on the computer.  My system specs are below. 

Dell Studio XPS 435T desktop PC
8 GB of memory
Intel i7 CPU 2.67GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS 
1 TB Western Digital

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Leif W.

Advertisements

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi FreeBooter,

I downloaded the System Update Readiness tool from the link you provided.  When I ran the application, a Window was displayed that said "Searching for Updates on this computer".  The program just stayed on this screen and never progressed.  After ten hours, I shut the program down.  Is it supposed to take this long?

Thanks,

Leif W.

Edited by Leif W., 13 November 2016 - 11:21 PM.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

HI,

I tried running the program again.  There is no option to run as administrator.  However, I login as an ADMIN.  I let the program run for over an hour.  I then stopped it as it seemed to be hung up (same as before).

I then ran the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic tool.  When it finished, I re-booted my PC.  I then try to run Windows Update for one of the updates.  Unfortunately, the issue remains "Downloading updates (0kb total 0% complete)." 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Leif W.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
✓  Best Answer

HI,

Well I have good news.  The updates started work again.  Not sure why.  I tried several different steps.  I'm not sure what worked.Here's what I did

Type following commands one by one:
net stop wuauserv
cd\windows
rename SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bck
net start wuauserv

I then ran Windows update and it still would just hang.  So I renamed the above backup directory to it's original name.  I then went into Windows update and changed the setting to "Install Update Automatically".  That didn't seem to work , so after a day I changed the setting to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install".  Well last night when I went to shut off my PC Windows displayed a message that 23 updates were being installed.  After it finished installing the PC shut off as normal.  This morning when I started the PC I got the normal message that Windows was configuring updates and to not shut off the PC.  Once done, Windows started up as normal.  I then checked the Windows update history and I could see all the updates were installed successfully.  So I'm not sure why it's working.  I will monitor the PC.

I guess you can close this topic since things are working now.

Thanks,

Leif W.