Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help a noob!

Server install Mr Win & Mrs Mac

• Please log in to reply

Wafna

Wafna

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

heya all!

So I picked up a 2nd hand desktop tower from a random in town who didn't want to move [edit] with it across the US[/edit]. She said it had a 500 gb hard drive that'd had the data wiped, and didn't know any of the specs as far as motherboard or processor. Doesn't even have a power cable, but that's cheap enough to pick up for myself. (The rando also gave me an external back-up HD that has another 500 gb, sans power or connecting cables, so we'll see if I can't slide those drives into the case to beef up the storage space.)

I'd like to set it up as a home server; stable location for backing up media files and the like, maybe even make it shareable to friends & family. I'm leaning towards linux as a server OS because my wife uses mac products, and I've stuck with PCs because of the ease of plug-and-play hardware.

I'm sure my first step is going to be powering on and seeing what the bios tells me about system specs, and I have a lap-top hard drive I salvaged from a car crash (my car and laptop, totalled, but the HD still works!) that I can boot from too. From there... I trust to your judgement! I haven't played with Linux at all, but I'm not scared to screw anything up since it was all free anyway. I won't pretend to be a super coder, but I've been on the recieving end of some wisdom from the Malware Removal forum over the years. So I'm not a complete rube, just a noob with Servers and Linux.

Let the games begin! Thanks in advance for anyone's and everyone's input!

Edited by Wafna, 16 November 2016 - 07:18 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

you have lots of options available to you and it's just a case of installing a linux os and then trying out different software solutions for your needs.

personally i don't use any automatic backup software/solutions and just use 2 different types of file server so i can upload/download my files.

my os of choice is leap42 :- http://software.opensuse.org/422/en

my file sever of choice is vsftp, you can use this to transfer files to and from anywhere to that pc and then because i run a mythtv setup on that pc too i use that to stream/watch my multimedia files easily without needing to download them first.

so that one pc holds one copy of my backup files, videos etc. and is used to serve those files to any other pc i may want access on from anywhere i may be.

the biggest drawback i've found when uploading/downloading my files from outside my home network is internet connection speeds so that is something you'll need to take into consideration. especially the upload speed, large files can take hours to transfer.

like i said you have lots of options open to you and it's just a case of deciding exactly what your needs are and then finding the os and software that best fits them.

see if these links help you :-

http://www.htpcbegin...me-server-uses/

http://www.htpcbegin...er-software-os/

quick samba server setup on ubuntu video.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 17 November 2016 - 11:20 AM.