Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager gone after using AdAware,CW,Spybot

• Please log in to reply

cangst

cangst

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I first have to thank you guys for helping get rid of the malware on my computer following the steps:
1. Scan for Spyware/Adware
- run Ad-Aware SE
- Run CW Shredder
- Run Spybot S&D
2. Run Ewido Security Suite
3. Run Windows update

It fixed my problem but now I lost sound. Getting following error messages when I try to access Device Manager:
MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

I tried to access via Start>Run> and I get same message. I also cannot use the Search feature in Windows Explorer. I haven't discovered yet what else is missing.

I don't think I have the original driver CD (bought computer used) so if there is a solution that doesn't involve using my old disks, please let me know.
THank you,

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

Try re-installing your sound drivers. Download and install the 30-day trial version of Tune-up Utilities, fix the registry.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depending on how your system was installed, see if you can find an i386 folder. usually somewhere in c....there may be acopy of it in there

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, downloaded the program and I ran the program under "Optimize & Improve">"Tuneup Registry Defrag". What else should I run?

Sound is back but I still can't access my device manager or search.

Thanks for the help.

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I looked in i386 but didn't find any *.msc files. There were several zip files with the extension *.cab, including one called driver.cab. I opened that zip but didn't see any *.msc files. Keep in mind that I can't search since that feature is gone too so this is a manual search.
Thanks,

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Clean Up & Repair > Tune up Registry Cleaner

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Kool,
I just re-looked at your first post. You said to reinstall sound drivers. I'm assuming that TuneUp Utilities won't help if I don't have the sound driver CD??? I did run Clean Up & Repair > Tune up Registry Cleaner and it didn't help with the Device Manager problem. Strange that the sound works now but Device Manager is still giving this msg:
MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

The laptop is a Sony Vaio and there are a bunch of Sony System tools on this thing but I can't seem to find anything that would restore the drivers. Btw, I did look in my recycle bin for the devmgmt.msc (or any *.msc file) and there weren't any.

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm shocked, but I just found the Sony system disks. I didn't think I had them.

There are 3 System Recovery disks and 2 Application Recovery disks. Any thoughts on where to start? I really am leery of running a system recovery.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am somewhat curious as to whether there are any other msc files in system32?

for that matter, unzip and move the attached to that directory and run it

Attached Files

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This is strange... I didn't put that file you sent in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ yet, but now the following files are there:
certmgr.msc
ciadv.msc
compmgmt.msc
devmgmt.msc
dfrg.msc
diskmgmt.msc... and about 8 or 9 more. They all have the same date 8/18/2001. These were not here earlier before I ran the utilities...

I clicked on each of the *.msc and still get the MMC cannot open... error.

Advertisements

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
should i try to put your devmgmt.msc in my system32 file? I would first create a backup of mine? Just not sure if using your devmgnt will conflict w/ my system?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, throw mine out

let me attach a new file, hold on

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is a visual basic script that will restore the default file association for msc files....unzip and run, then try running device manager

Attached Files

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm looking at my recycle bin again. There are 2 files that were in WINDOWS\system32\ that were deleted the day I got hit that I'm wondering about and they are smsca.exe and dist001.exe. Should these be restored?

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No dice. Didn't work.