Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager gone after using AdAware,CW,Spybot

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you run them from c:\windows\system32 --- ie, double click them in that folder?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, do not restore those

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, I ran them from within system32

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I also tried to run from Start>Run and the Control Panel>System. I keep getting the error:

MMC cannot open the file...
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

btw, is there a way to copy the text out of an error message w/o retyping it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can sometimes select it with the mouse, type ctrl-c, then ctrl-v to paste

let's focus on the latter part.

pro or home?

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
XP home.

No, can't select the type in this dialog box.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, create a second account, log in to that, and try to run it...want to see if this is a user issue or machine issue

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, made new accoutt and logged in. Had same problem... therefore, it is a system problem and not a user problem.

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have to be on a conf call for next 30 min so I might not get back to you right away... but please don't give up on me. I really appreciate the help.
Thanks,

cangst

cangst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
gerryf --
did you have any other suggestions?

Advertisements

silvertomb

silvertomb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been following your problem since I'm also having devmgmt.msc problems exactly like you are.

I've tried registerfix, registry mechanic, TuneUp, and I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to do a backup of important files and reformat. :tazz:

The other problem I'm having is no sound.. ohh and 2 days ago my printer stopped working something about spooler not running. Uninstalled and tried installing again but no such luck.

I'll be burning some back up cds this weekend.
Hope to get devmgmt.msc working since it may solve all my problems.

Bye for now.

Maurice Morgado

Krazie316

Krazie316

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I figured it out!!!!!!!!!

I've had the same problem due to Norton Antivirus deleting some dll's in system 32 from infection. Seems as windows has failed to automatically restore them like it usually does so you must do it manually.

go to http://www.dll-files.com and get these dll's (some you might not need)

msxml2.dll

msxml2r.dll

msxml3.dll

msxml3a.dll

msxml3r.dll

msxml4.dll

msxml4r.dll

dfrgres.dll

dfrgsnap.dll

and dfrgui.dll

If asked if you want to replace another version of the dll, don't untill you've tested dfrg.msc and if it still don't work replace them all.

Drag these dll's in C:\Windows\System32\

you can back up your old dll's if you wish but when you put the new ones in then delete them windows will automatically start replacing them.

Try that my friend and spred the word to everybody having this problem. Took me a good 4 hours of reefing windows to figure this out.

Krazie316

Krazie316

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I've been following your problem since I'm also having devmgmt.msc problems exactly like you are.

I've tried registerfix, registry mechanic, TuneUp, and I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to do a backup of important files and reformat.  :tazz:

The other problem I'm having is no sound.. ohh and 2 days ago my printer stopped working something about spooler not running.  Uninstalled and tried installing again but no such luck.

I'll be burning some back up cds this weekend.
Hope to get devmgmt.msc working since it may solve all my problems.

Bye for now.

Maurice Morgado

View Post

After you've fixed you're msc files by following the steps in my previous post, right click on my computer and click on manage. Then go to the Services and applications option on the right side of the computer management console and click the plus sign next to it.

Click on services then on the right, find print spooler. Right click on it then click properties, in the properties box make sure the startup type is automatic and make sure it's not disabled then click ok and try to print something again.

I hope I'm not too late to or probably already figured everything ouy by now.

snatmanpro

snatmanpro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Krazie316,

Thanks for your find! As usual one of my systems got fubar'd, and I scanned the web. Micro$haft sayz, we know this is an issue, blah, blah, blah. I'm glad you foud something that works! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Krazie316

Krazie316

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Fa sho big dawg