Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Problems

• Please log in to reply

jpgalla

jpgalla

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok here is the issue that i am having. I recently upgraded my PC from 2000 to XP. It was previously upgrade from 98 to 2000. When I go to connect to the internet I am unable to. under the settings for the connection it is showing Modem Removed-Device Unavailable(com1). I have checked in control panel and the modem and the com ports are installed. there are no question marks or exclamation points. If i use hyper terminal and use the ADT commands and all the modem is working fine. The modem is a US Robotics. I have switched the com port for the modem to com1 to see if it will see the modem. It does not. I tried changing the com port to com2 still nothing. I have uninstalled both the modem and com port still the same problem comes up. I can not change the modem choice in the connection settings. If i create a new connection it brings up the same problem. Any help would be appreciated since I am stuck here.

Edited by jpgalla, 17 June 2005 - 08:31 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install drivers for XP

http://www.usr-emea....nu.asp?loc=unkg

jpgalla

jpgalla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I did.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
A 56k modem?

Change the PCI slot.
Let windows detect it.
Load the modem drivers.
Should go to com 4.

Jedi:thumbsup:

jpgalla

jpgalla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem is not the modem. It is working fine. I tried it anyway and it did go to 4 but I still have the same problem. That is on the settings of my dialup connection it says modem removed-device unavailable(com1). So what can i do to get the message modem removed removed from the configuration.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I wasnt saying the problem was the modem, just suggesting you try another slot and to let it redetect it. To flush out al your old settings that might have got locked into your dialup connection software or settings.

Right click the network icon on your desktop, select properties, delete any accounts you have, then click new connection winzard in the same window. Follow the prompts.

jpgalla

jpgalla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried deleting all the old connections and starting new ones. I am still getting the same results. It keeps grabbing information from somewhere becasue it still says modem removed-device unavailable(com1). I was wondering if anybody knew where the settings are in the registry for modems. I was going to look to see if i could find it but I don't want to do the wrong thing here.