Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Starts To Black Screen (No Logos)

• Please log in to reply

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Makes sense now  :thumbsup:

Will break down your reply again, makes things easier to explain;

Sorry. I had it reversed. We plugged it in and the amber light came on the left it charging until it was blue. Then we had unplugged it and left it overnight and it wouldn't turn on. When we plugged it in it was amber again.

Two things that can cause power drain, a system short and a faulty internal battery.

Have you tried pressing the internal battery reset button, with the AC adapter removed and the notebook not powered up, on the base of the notebook you should see a small circular hole, straighten out a paperclip, insert it into the hole until you feel it make contact with the reset button then gently press it for a few seconds, check for any change.

By turning on, I mean the screen is completely black except for the back light is on. The fans turn on and so does the hard drive light.

This behaviour makes a system short less likely as the computer if it did start up would completely shut down as soon as the electrical circuit was broken by the short in the circuit.

You mention trying an external display in your OP, can I just confirm that when you tried this that you pressed the Fn and the F5 keys down at the same time to toggle to external display mode.

We hadn't opened and messed with the inside since September. Would there be that much of a latency in seeing the effects of this? It was running fine until it froze while watching a YouTube video and we had to restart.

Now we know the computer will stay on but with no display it sounds more like a video problem, apart from the display being toggled to external mode you are looking at a couple of possible scenarios, a failed MB (this includes the NVIDIA GeForce 940M GPU) and a failed CPU, freezing is mostly caused by overheating something that your model of notebook is known for as is it`s poor display, see review here

If resetting the battery and toggling the display make no difference I suggest you insert the original RAM and return the notebook under warranty and have Acer find out what is wrong with the notebook.

The only grey area is the fact that Acer said that your Samsung 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-128000S-11-12-B4 was incompatible but you used it anyway, I see nothing wrong with the RAM and you know that it worked but don`t be surprised if Acer try and deny any warranty claim because of the RAMs use.

Makes sense now  :thumbsup:

Will break down your reply again, makes things easier to explain;

Sorry. I had it reversed. We plugged it in and the amber light came on the left it charging until it was blue. Then we had unplugged it and left it overnight and it wouldn't turn on. When we plugged it in it was amber again.

Two things that can cause power drain, a system short and a faulty internal battery.

Have you tried pressing the internal battery reset button, with the AC adapter removed and the notebook not powered up, on the base of the notebook you should see a small circular hole, straighten out a paperclip, insert it into the hole until you feel it make contact with the reset button then gently press it for a few seconds, check for any change.

By turning on, I mean the screen is completely black except for the back light is on. The fans turn on and so does the hard drive light.

This behaviour makes a system short less likely as the computer if it did start up would completely shut down as soon as the electrical circuit was broken by the short in the circuit.

You mention trying an external display in your OP, can I just confirm that when you tried this that you pressed the Fn and the F5 keys down at the same time to toggle to external display mode.

We hadn't opened and messed with the inside since September. Would there be that much of a latency in seeing the effects of this? It was running fine until it froze while watching a YouTube video and we had to restart.

Now we know the computer will stay on but with no display it sounds more like a video problem, apart from the display being toggled to external mode you are looking at a couple of possible scenarios, a failed MB (this includes the NVIDIA GeForce 940M GPU) and a failed CPU, freezing is mostly caused by overheating something that your model of notebook is known for as is it`s poor display, see review here

If resetting the battery and toggling the display make no difference I suggest you insert the original RAM and return the notebook under warranty and have Acer find out what is wrong with the notebook.

The only grey area is the fact that Acer said that your Samsung 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-128000S-11-12-B4 was incompatible but you used it anyway, I see nothing wrong with the RAM and you know that it worked but don`t be surprised if Acer try and deny any warranty claim because of the RAMs use.

Yes, we tried toggling the display when plugged into the external monitor.

Resetting the internal battery is what I mentioned in the initial post. There isn't any way to remove the battery (soldered in) and no button that I can see. There is a switch that says BATT ON/OFF. Would that be it? 

It's starting to look more and more like we should just take it in to Acer. I'm just worried it won't be covered by warranty since we don't have the "Do Not Remove Sticker anymore." 

Will update later on how this all goes.

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,385 posts

Please do not quote every reply, there is no need or benefit to be gained only unnecessary reading on our behalf  :(

Not looking good atm, MB or CPU failure looking likely, fwiw MBs are more prone to failure than the CPU and in the case of notebooks a user replacing the MB is not a financially viable option.

Was aware of the content of your OP, you will forgive me for not realising that by the following you meant that you had tried resetting the battery by using the reset button;

After doing this, I googled the issue. I found two tips. One was taking out the CMOS battery, which is possible because it is soldered. I

Where was the "Do Not Remove Sticker" placed on the notebook and who removed it.

Edit to add: Not even getting the Acer splash screen suggests that this is a major issue but can you try tapping the Tab key when you next power up the notebook, some brands use the Tab key to disable the BIOS splash screen.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The stick is on the bottom of the laptop covering the screw holes. The sticker was falling off by itself, so we decided to just push it back to take the screw out and try the RAM ourselves because it didn't make sense that the RAM wouldn't be compatible with the laptop and it looked like the warranty was already voided by that sticker peeling off. 

We found the reset button. Pressing it didn't change anything. Still same results as before.

Edited by Cyprianophobia, 10 December 2016 - 06:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,385 posts

Did Acer remove the sticker when you took the notebook in for them to upgrade your RAM.

Did you try the Tab key on restart.

Just so that you are aware, upgrading your RAM  with the correct spec will not normally void the warranty, exceptions are 1: If you damage something when upgrading. 2: The upgrade involves a partial dismantle such as removing the keyboard and track pad etc.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

They removed the stick and put a new one. I think that's why it was falling of initially.

We haven't tried that. What should that do? Just Tab?

In order to get to the motherboard on this laptop, you have to remove the keyboard completely. Then you have to unscrew the motherboard and the RAM is located on the bottom. There is no way to do it without completely removing the keyboard, track pad, and motherboard. It's the same with the battery, hard drive, and all other components. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,385 posts

Regarding the Tab key function, as per my reply #20

Not even getting the Acer splash screen suggests that this is a major issue but can you try tapping the Tab key when you next power up the notebook, some brands use the Tab key to disable the BIOS splash screen.

If you were getting a splash screen it would offer some hope of you resolving the issue yourself, if you still do not get a splash screen after pressing the Tab key it means that the function has not simply been disabled and that serious hardware failure has occurred.

In view of the Acer sticker and partial dismantle information in your reply #23 I think it only fair to warn you that Acer will most likely decline any warranty claim, all you can do is insert the original RAM, return the notebook and hopefully have Acer find out what is wrong and repair the notebook, fingers crossed for you that they do.

Sorry that I cannot offer any other alternative  :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,385 posts

Not heard back from you Cyprianophobia , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.