Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I connect USB 3.0 Hub into a USB 2.0 Port etc.?

Best Answer terry1966 , 29 November 2016 - 11:19 PM

yes you can but there are 2 things you'll need to consider, first as mentioned is you'll only get usb2 speeds and 2nd is that usb2 ports have a lower power output so some thing plugged into the usb... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hello Everyone,

Can I take a USB 3.0 hub and plug it into a USB 2.0 port? If so, will I get the USB 3.0 Speeds?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
As far as I know The transfer speed will always be the speed of the slowest item.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
✓  Best Answer

yes you can but there are 2 things you'll need to consider, first as mentioned is you'll only get usb2 speeds and 2nd is that usb2 ports have a lower power output so some thing plugged into the usb3 hub may not work because it requires and doesn't get the higher power output a usb3 port is capably of supplying.

usb2 outputs upto max of 0.5 amps and usb3 outputs upto max of 0.9 amps if memory serves.

more info about usb ports, differences and capabilities here :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

:popcorn:

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

As far as I know The transfer speed will always be the speed of the slowest item.

yes you can but there are 2 things you'll need to consider, first as mentioned is you'll only get usb2 speeds and 2nd is that usb2 ports have a lower power output so some thing plugged into the usb3 hub may not work because it requires and doesn't get the higher power output a usb3 port is capably of supplying.

usb2 outputs upto max of 0.5 amps and usb3 outputs upto max of 0.9 amps if memory serves.

more info about usb ports, differences and capabilities here :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

:popcorn:

Thank you very much zep516 & terry1966 for your responses, time and assistance. I understand now. Helpful info. Thank you again.