Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Cold Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

SociallySion

SociallySion

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Alright, I've got a weird problem I've been dealing with for about 4 months now, and it doesn't quite seem to meet the same criteria as the other posts I've searched. I'm hoping I can get some help for this!

My rig sometimes struggles on a cold boot. I'll hit the power button and it'll display the hard drive info (which is new but says status is fine). It'll show the MSI Krait long, start to boot, then just shut down (very smoothly I might add). However a follow up attempt to boot it works 100% of the time. And if it at anytime I turn my computer off and come back within an hour or two, it works 100% of the time.

Things I've eliminated as problems:

Power Supply (I swapped it with my wife's computer which is near identically to mine and no issues)
Software issues (I've wiped the machine clean a couple times now)
I've made sure everything was seated several times over.

System Specs:
i7 4790k
Corsair RM1000x (i know this overkill but I got a pretty good deal on it)
AMD Radeon r290x
MSI Krait z97s
Windows 10 64bit
4x 500gb Toshiba HDDs in RAID 1+0
2x 4gb RAM (think they're GSKILL)

One further note. It did have a Corsair 700 that blew up in it several months prior to this issue. Then when I threw in the RM1000x the computer worked great for months, I don't think it's related but it's worth noting.

Anyone have any ideas before I start full blown part swapping?

Thanks for you time!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    SociallySion,

My rig sometimes struggles on a cold boot. I'll hit the power button and it'll display the hard drive info (which is new but says status is fine). It'll show the MSI Krait long, start to boot, then just shut down (very smoothly I might add).

After reading your OP I can only suspect a problem with the MB and possibly the power good signal between the board and the PSU, some info here

However a follow up attempt to boot it works 100% of the time. And if it at anytime I turn my computer off and come back within an hour or two, it works 100% of the time.

This is because there is already an amount of charge in the circuit, this charge is referred to as "stand by voltage" and will be present for as long as the PSU is connected to the computer and turned on at the wall socket and rocker switch on the back of the PSU, leaving the computer in stand by is most likely your best option but only if connected to a minimum of a surge protector and preferably a UPS.

Not much you can do to even try troubleshooting a bad PGS I`m afraid but please let us know if you would like to check anything else.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you SociallySion, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.