Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing 2nd OS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Cryme

Cryme

• Pip
  • 3 posts

First off I hope I`m posting this in the right section. If not please direct me to the proper place.  Ok.  At present I have 2 OS`s on my computer. Drive C has Win 10 and drive D has Win 8.1.

I would like to remove 8.1.  If I go to system configuration and in the boot tab if you click on the 8.1 OS there is an option to delete.

What I would like to know is it safe to delete it. And could affect the Win 10 installation.

Thank you

Advertisements

Cryme

Cryme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Boot your computer into Windows 10 and open System Configuration and from the Boot tab delete Windows 8.1 boot entry. Open Disk Management by typing Diskmgmt.msc and delete Windows 8.1 partition and restart your computer.

Don't forget to backup your data on Windows 8.1 partition before deleting the partition!

Thanks for getting back to me. Will give it a shot.

One more question. After I delete win 8.1 where can I find the partition on the drive.

Edited by Cryme, 07 December 2016 - 02:57 PM.

Cryme

Cryme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

After you have deleted partition where Windows 8.1 installed it will become unallocated space you can partition and format the unallocated space.

Ok, thanks again.