Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opening external harddrive

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I encountered a problem yesterday when connecting an external hardrive(via usb cable). For some reason me pc does not recognize it. Generally when I connect an external device whether it be an external drive or even a camera for uploading pics to PCs an alert comes through my speakers. Well anyway when I connected external harddrive to pc I got the usual "ping" alert but when I direct my pic to My Computer the external drive doe not appear either as "E" or "F". Could this have something to do with the inner workings of the pc such as the BIOS. Also I noticed if I restart the pc with the external harddrive connected and turned on Windows would not complete its startup process and would hang on black screen.

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
By the way, I have been getting a dialogue box that advises me to check to see that "disk is not full" or "write proctected" which it is not.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
The black screen I am referring to deals with main Processor and at the bottom of the screen the following is indicated;

Press DEL to enter SETUP, F11 to enter Boot Menu

This occurs when I have external drive turned on

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I haven't used Disk Management yet but can advise you that I tried different usb ports to no avail. When I connect another device to PC along with external device, they both show up on My Computer with harddrive designated as "E", but it cannot be opened and when I try I get message that disk has been moved or removed. If I click on said harddrive Properties indicate it as being full which it is not.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I  have completed operation and now upon restart i am getting following dialogue box message:

"The exception unknown software exception(0x40000015) ocurred in the application at location 0x00527676.

Clik on OK to terminate the program"

Pc still does not recognize the external harddrive.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

By the way, when i run "diskmgmt.msc"  only C and D drives are indicated.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

No and I am not getting the original message anymore but am getting this one instead.: "Please insert disk into drive E"

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Should I download CrystalDiskInfo program yet and what is SMART

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Should I download CrystalDiskInfo program yet and what is SMART all about?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
If you are referring to message concerning exception of software, it used to come up at shut-down but has been coming up at start-up but hasn't done it when I shut down external harddrive and extra device. Just noticed that my Avira ant-virus is doing strange things also.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Antivirus was advising me that license for professional version was due for renewal, but I have free version. I restarted PC and it seems to be working ok now doing updates, scans etc.

So do I run crystaldiskinfo program?

Edited by waynf, 14 December 2016 - 08:44 AM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Have downloaded CrystalDiskInfo but need to know how to select E drive on the program.  Its is only scanning "C"