Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No signal on monitor, can't get image from PC.

dead mobo no image startup problems

• Please log in to reply

alijaz12345

alijaz12345

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Alright, so I've had this PC for about 2 years now. It's custom built and has only had minor issues so far. What I noticed recently was that the computer would go to sleep when I told it to, but would not wake up after. It would be running but I would see no picture. Restarting always solved this issue, until the last time it happened. I restarted my computer and got no image. So I restarted a few more times, but with no luck. I tried taking out the graphics card (less than a year old) and using the integrated gpu, but got no picture as well. That led to believe that the gpu was not the problem. I tried changing the ram and reseating it with no luck. I tried changing the processor and psu with no luck as well. I tried unplugging the hard drives and yet still got no picture. The only thing I have yet to try is changing the motherboard, but I do get the green light with no POST beeps on startup, so I don't know what the best course of action would be. I also took out the battery on the mobo and put it back in a short while after, which didn't help me at all. I tested another monitor and about 10 different cables, from vga to hdmi. with no success. If anyone has any idea as to what I should do, I would be very grateful.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   alijaz12345,

With the troubleshooting that you have done it does not look good for the MB atm.

Couple of questions;

Have you done a barebones set up with the MB outside of the case.

Have you checked the MB for any bulging or burst/blown caps, some info and examples here to show you what to look for.

Please provide information about the MB, CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU, brand and model name or number for each.

alijaz12345

alijaz12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've done an outside the case test build and the result was the same. The mobo doesn't seem damaged and I'm sure i checked all of the caps. I have an i7-2600, 16 GB Kingston ram (4x4), ati r9 380. Got a 650W psu and the mobo is from gigabyte. I'll update the exact motherboard and psu names and models once I get home. Thanks for the reply!

Edited by alijaz12345, 15 December 2016 - 05:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

When you post back with the PSU and MB info can you also tell us the replacement CPU details, will explain later why we need to know if the test CPU was not the same as your i7 2600 Sandy Bridge. 

alijaz12345

alijaz12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The psu is a technoware core 650 and the mobo is an Intel (my bad) dh67cl. the cpu I used for testing was an i5 2300k and the 2300. Again, thanks for the fast response.

Edited by alijaz12345, 15 December 2016 - 08:27 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

From your OP;

The only thing I have yet to try is changing the motherboard, but I do get the green light with no POST beeps on startup,

Can I ask what the green light is to which you refer and if your computer normally emits a single beep when it passes the POST and boots into Windows.

the cpu I used for testing was an i5 2300k and the 2300

Am aware of the i5 2300 but not a k version of the same CPU.

Reason why I asked about the replacement CPU was to check to see if the BIOS may need updating for it to work, checked and it doesn`t, the same version of BIOS is compatible with both the i7 2600 and the i5 2300 so that is ruled out as being the reason why the i5 2300 will also not work.

Only a couple of suggestions for you I`m afraid, check the MBs CPU socket for any signs of damage, unplug and replug the 20 pin CPU connection and the 24 pin main power connection to make sure that they are nice and secure.

The psu is a technoware core 650 

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the links in my sig;

PSU guidance 10 stripe - Johnny Lucky - PC Mech - PSU Review Database Toms PSU tier list 2.0

You are welcome btw  :)

alijaz12345

alijaz12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the psu was something I got as a cheap alternative and just stuck to it, it had served me well. the motherboard never beeped when I started the computer and the Green light I was talking about is the one that indicates that the mobo has power. the socket has no damage and I checked all the wiring. time to get a new motherboard I suppose.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the late reply, got sidetracked yesterday  :(

Using a cheap PSU is false economy as it is only a matter of time before they pop and quite often taking other hardware with it.

Odd that the MB never beeped in the first place as it is shown to have an onboard speaker, see attachment and link here, regardless without such a speaker it will not suddenly begin to beep because you have hardware failure so the info is of no help with your troubleshooting.

the Green light I was talking about is the one that indicates that the mobo has power. the socket has no damage and I checked all the wiring. time to get a new motherboard I suppose.

A fair assessment and good troubleshooting done on your behalf but please confirm the following for us before replacing the MB;

The replacement CPU that you tried was 100% guarenteed in working order.

Whether or not the CPU and any other cooling fans spin up when you press the power on button on the chassis.

You mentioned the following in your reply #3 "I've done an outside the case test build and the result was the same." can you please describe the exact steps that you did, not doubting your ability here just making sure that nothing is overlooked before you potentially start purchasing a new MB. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you alijaz12345, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.