Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wht are desktops systems so expensive?

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

With the popularity of laptops and tablets, are desktops becoming dinosaurs? I've always had a desktop - I think they are more expandable and versatile, except for mobility, but then I'm an old lady and don't need a really mobile device. I was pricing some desktops on "big box" store Web pages and found they can range anywhere from several hundred (usually for refurbished systems) to thousands of dollars. I wanted to know why they are so expensive when the bulk of the demand is for smaller and smaller.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Debodun,

I was pricing some desktops on "big box" store Web pages and found they can range anywhere from several hundred (usually for refurbished systems) to thousands of dollars

I wanted to know why they are so expensive when the bulk of the demand is for smaller and smaller.

There is more to your question than a simple answer so will address the two points above which basically = the same answer, if that makes sense  :headscratch:

What you would expect to pay for a desktop computer depends on the following;

1: The intended use of the computer, for basic home use you need not pay more than $400, example here, less for lower spec but up to three times more for a gaming computer.

2: More or less the same as above but in addition, where you look will affect the prices that you see, most computer related sites are aimed at gamers and gaming rigs require higher end components such as add on video cards that cost hundreds of bucks, bigger power supplies, cases and more RAM etc, soon adds up to nearer a $1000 for only an entry level gaming rig.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just as another example.

the 2 most expensive single parts in a pc are usually the cpu and dedicated graphics cards.

this cpu costs $1650 :- http://www.newegg.co...7-643-_-Product

this graphics card cost $680 (and some times gamers may have 4 of them in their pc's for a total cost of $2720.) :-  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487245

for most people you can get a very good pc for less than $1000 (same for laptops.) over that price then your usually looking into systems built for a dedicated purpose with high end parts the average user doesn't really use or need.

:popcorn:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

When the demand goes down, they make less and when they make less, the cost goes up per unit.