Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying A Smart TV - Will it work?

• Please log in to reply

thailend19

thailend19

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I have a cableTV connection, a modem/router for both cable and wi-fi internet. Will a Smart tv(Sony, LG ) work as is? Will I have to buy more hardware?  The models I'm considering buying are LG 43LH570D or 590T;  or Sony LED Digital KDL40W650D. All are digital.

Any suggestions or more information you need to respond I'm ready to research and provide.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes i'd think they will work as is, without the need to purchase any further hardware.

i assume you connect from the cabletv box to your current tv using an hdmi connection, and will use the same to connect to the new tv.

as to the "smart" part of the tv's all you need to do is connect an ethernet/lan cable from one of a routers usual 4 lan ports to the tv's lan port or use their built in wifi capabilities to connect to your wifi router so they have internet connection for the smart part to work.

:popcorn:

thailend19

thailend19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

yes i'd think they will work as is, without the need to purchase any further hardware.

i assume you connect from the cabletv box to your current tv using an hdmi connection, and will use the same to connect to the new tv.

as to the "smart" part of the tv's all you need to do is connect an ethernet/lan cable from one of a routers usual 4 lan ports to the tv's lan port or use their built in wifi capabilities to connect to your wifi router so they have internet connection for the smart part to work.

The condo's cable TV connection cable is NOT HDMI. The wi-fi is non-cable, since it reaches into the next room(about 20 feet) from the router to my second pc. I have to assume these Smart TVs have built-in wi-fi capabilities. thanks for the reassurance....

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes both tv's have built in wifi according tp the specs i read, not sure about your cabletv connection then because the only cabletv setups i've seen have the cabletv wire coming into the home to the suppliers tvbox and then use an hdmi connection from that to the tv.

i live in the uk so our cabletv setup may work differently to where ever you live though, i still don't see you needing any new hardware or having the need to do anything different with the new tv than what you do now on your current tv to get your usual tv channels.