Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks up when connecting to the internet

• Please log in to reply

Courier

Courier

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My friend just got Earthlink Dial-Up the other day. Whenever he gets on the internet, within a few minutes, the computer completely locks up! He has to reset his computer to get it too work again.

I don't know enough about computers to help him out, so is there anything you guys could do to maybe help? I don't think he has any spyware, because he hasn't had a connection to the internet until the other day.

Edited by Courier, 07 July 2005 - 11:13 AM.

Advertisements

gary201

gary201

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the exact same problem... I've tried everything. My computer checks clear and free of viruses and spy ware. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I would need more information to help out with the problem, but I just thought I might inform you that in most cases an unprotected XP machine will be over run by malware, and other even nastier programs in less then twenty minutes of connecting to the Internet.

Although, since he is using dial-up he may try using a different access number if one is available to him. I had a similiar problem years ago when I used to Dial Up to compuserve. Changing access numbers helped.