Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google search keeps adding an /m/ to the end of my website?

website search google

• Please log in to reply

shouftas

shouftas

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Google keeps adding an /m/ to the end of my website in Google search???  This then brings down my website from the first page on Google search to the point where my index page disappears for a couple weeks, then comes back.  Why is Google doing this? I tried google webmaster, and it doesn't look like i am being penalized or anything. 

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 01-16-17 at 02.01 PM.PNG

Advertisements

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

That /m/ causes a 404 error. If too many folks are not trying .ca, you're correct, it's costing you potential business.  I don't know how you would report that to Google Search. 

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Roland,  Just wondering what you mean by " If too many folks are not trying .ca"?  

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Create a page 'm'

Not ideal but it would work

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Google keeps adding an /m/ to the end of my website in Google search???  This then brings down my website from the first page on Google search to the point where my index page disappears for a couple weeks, then comes back.  Why is Google doing this? I tried google webmaster, and it doesn't look like i am being penalized or anything. 

Any ideas?

I did a search for your site and it came up showing www.panoramicstudio.ca/#! Right-clicked and did a copy link location which gave http://www.panoramicstudio.ca/#! at top. No "/m/" but "#!" may be just as strange.

Could be the algorithm Google is using at the time when it encounters a top level domain ".ca" name which is not used by US companies. Could also be Google is looking closer to the true server's technical address of your host or IPA ( Internet Protocol Address) and assigning it the proper URL which provides much more information i.e. the specific page address, folder name, machine name, and protocol language.

Might check to see if your index page is properly coded for the document type used. Just a guess here. For instance you seem to be using an HTML5 doc type but it is not really recommended any mor to use "<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>" meta tag.

Take it tours.panoramicstudio.ca (number 2 on search pahe) is also yours.

Edited by AstraNut, 20 January 2017 - 07:10 PM.

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Any ideas?

I did a search for your site and it came up showing www.panoramicstudio.ca/#! Right-clicked and did a copy link location which gave http://www.panoramicstudio.ca/#! at top. No "/m/" but "#!" may be just as strange.

Could be the algorithm Google is using at the time when it encounters a top level domain ".ca" name which is not used by US companies. Could also be Google is looking closer to the true server's technical address of your host or IPA ( Internet Protocol Address) and assigning it the proper URL which provides much more information i.e. the specific page address, folder name, machine name, and protocol language.

Might check to see if your index page is properly coded for the document type used. Just a guess here. For instance you seem to be using an HTML5 doc type but it is not really recommended any mor to use "<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>" meta tag.

I Used Wix to create my website.  I don't know much about web coding and HTML5, but I do know Wix use to use weird symbols like #!  to identify my secondary web pages.  They changed the system where now my secondary pages actually have a normal extension name example: (panoramicstudio.ca/contact).  I wonder if that change has anything to do with it.  Tours.panoramicstudio.ca is actually a site that I host my tours for my customers galleries.  

Thanks for the input.  Maybe Ill have a talk with someone from Wix.

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Create a page 'm'

Not ideal but it would work

Thanks Azarl,  Hadn't thought of doing that. Maybe I will try that as my last resort.  

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Any ideas?

Another clue which i forgot to mention was that on my mobile search, the /m/ was not present.  But the link was still not working though. Maybe it has something to do with my mobile site?

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Any ideas?

I Used Wix to create my website.  I don't know much about web coding and HTML5, but I do know Wix use to use weird symbols like #!  to identify my secondary web pages.  They changed the system where now my secondary pages actually have a normal extension name example: (panoramicstudio.ca/contact).  I wonder if that change has anything to do with it.  Tours.panoramicstudio.ca is actually a site that I host my tours for my customers galleries.  

Thanks for the input.  Maybe Ill have a talk with someone from Wix.

The only thing Wix is guilty of is bad coding. The site is not even close to HTML5 but since HTML5 document type is forgiving, the code will work fine. Wix also is not coding your pages like a responsive design should be coded for all devices.

You might just check the site in different browsers and compare. I use Firefox mostly and didn't take the time to check searches for your site in other browsers.

There are just some things some of the browsers, like old browsers people still use, that may have a hiccup or two when parsing the pages. The W3C validator wasn't too upset by the HTML markup used, but Google does change its algorithms once in awhile. A couple of times those changes were made cost some web site dearly in Page Ranks and business income. I don't think this is too much to worry about as the Google search on your site brought the site up on first search page in the number 1 and 2 slots.

Of course, this is a direct search for your site. Searching by keywords like tours, vacation or something similar may not produce the same results.

Edited by AstraNut, 21 January 2017 - 12:57 PM.

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Create a page 'm'   Not ideal but it would work

Simply create an M page that automatically takes the reader to your intended first page.  Perhaps a one-liner in there:

"Google accidentally adding /m/ -- taking you to the intended first page."  Very few will worry about re-direction  :)

Advertisements

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hi Roland,  Just wondering what you mean by " If too many folks are not trying .ca"?  

Many folks will not realize that your web site is really "YourWebSite.ca" and not "YourWebSite.ca/m/"  -- and they may not try "YourWebSite.ca" -- thus missing out on your really well-designed web site!

And, once you add that redirecting "m" page, hopefully most if not all future search engine searches should find your web site and list it correctly. 

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Many folks will not realize that your web site is really "YourWebSite.ca" and not "YourWebSite.ca/m/"  -- and they may not try "YourWebSite.ca" -- thus missing out on your really well-designed web site!

And, once you add that redirecting "m" page, hopefully most if not all future search engine searches should find your web site and list it correctly. 

People are not usually trying to find his or any web site by name. If they know the website by name or even a partial name, search engines will find it with no problem no matter what they attach to the end after the domain name. Putting the website by its proper name in the address field of any browser will normally take you right to the web site unless you messed up and do not have a properly named homepage in your root directory.

What they will be searching for is usually searched for by keywords. That means his site should be optimized with the best keywords and optimization techniques possible for the services provided. Google for SEO or search engine optimization or any other similar keywords and search engines will provide you with very good sites to visit to learn what to do. Better is just bite the bullet and go and use Google's web tools.

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I still think creating a redirecting-to-page-one "M page" is one way to smooth out this snafu.  AstroNut, you're right as rain, the great majority will do as you say, however, I believe many, doing a Google search, will click on the provided URL, error-free or not error-free.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I still think creating a redirecting-to-page-one "M page" is one way to smooth out this snafu.  AstroNut, you're right as rain, the great majority will do as you say, however, I believe many, doing a Google search, will click on the provided URL, error-free or not error-free.

I still don't understand the need for the redirect page as I did what O.P. said people do for a search of the website. I clicked on the links given and had no error page show up. Maybe I did it wrong.

Just redid the Google search. I really don't see anything added except when I use another search engine. See the first 5 entries given to me in attached image.

Attached Thumbnails

• GeekstoGo_panoramicstudio.caGoogle Search2017-01-23_18-53-20.jpg

Edited by AstraNut, 23 January 2017 - 06:58 PM.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

This is the Bing's Search Engine photo. Each search engine has their own algorithm which may produce different results. Note the first one which has the "/#!" added.

Attached Thumbnails

• GeekstoGo_panoramicstudio.ca_Bing Search.jpg