Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help a School Teacher

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Greetings, 

My school recently introduced a token currency to encourage positive student behaviors.  The "currency" is simply paper copies of our school mascot, mass produced with a photocopier.  As you might expect, this old-fashioned way of doing things has created some problems.

What I would like to know is, are there ways to move to a digital currency?  I'm thinking, for example, perhaps teachers could simply click student faces on a app and add +1 to a electronic counter.  I'm certain something like this is possible, but am concerned about the complexity.  Could a non-expert (but dedicated) person set something like this up?  Are there already apps that do something similar?  Am I just SOL?  

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
if your school has a website than you can add a publicly available counter. I don't think there is a need for a mobile app for it. After all you'll need a place to publicly display it. Just to be sure what you are trying to do is to have a list of students and vote for the one with the most positive behavior? Also could you explain in some more details what the current system is? Does it work? For which grade(s) is this? The complexity depends on whether you have a website or not. Please excuse me if i misunderstood something.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Farmer Giles,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

In addition to MystiqueWolf's advice, questions and concerns....

My thoughts may not apply for the answer you are looking for, but as the mother of a child with ADHD, I had tried using a cash register (digital numbers) to reward positive behavior and reward for tasks well done, but found that "real play money" (not copied paper coins, etc.) worked much better. Might not work as well for older middle to upper grade children since they know what "real money" is all about unless you have a way to exchange that play money for the real thing at the end of the week/month as I had to do, or some way to exchange the play money for materialistic items the child wants\desires.

Good behavior/tasks accomplished = monetary reward

Inappropriate behavior/tasks not complete = loss of monetary rewards