Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screens and unable to uninstall COMODO 10 - winXP

uninstall comodo blue screen

• Please log in to reply

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

It seems that I can't do much of anything now without getting the blue screen. Also, RESTORE POINT doesn't work, as well as DISK DEFRAGMENTATION. I'm not sure, but after Comodo was installed, things started going downhill. It may be something else. I don't know. I'm not even able to uninstall Comodo or other malware that is installed. Very strange indeed. I'm still trying to get the software to reset my windows password so I can run as Admin, but I keep getting the blue screens. I used to be able to run as Admin; but since Comodo, I can't. Thanks.

Advertisements

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

The multiple posts were an accident. My browser didn't show that it posted already, so I kept clicking the Post button. Sorry about that.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The BSOD you posted a picture of is probably a bad driver.  Comodo installs a driver so that's probably what's happening.  See if you can get into Safe Mode with Networking.  perhaps the driver doesn't load in safe mode then we can get rid of it.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Just about anything I try to do now will result in the blue screen. I even got the blue screen without doing anything after about 2 minutes into a fresh reboot. I have trouble in SAFE MODE as well. I'm trying my best, though it is frustrating. I tried to download the mimitoolbox, and again got the blue screen.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Apparently, I was already logged in with Admin privileges  while trying to run the VEW program. And, it still gave me the 70 error.

I'll be back in a few hours. Thanks very much for your help. This one is going to be interesting. :)

Edited by Paul W., 25 January 2017 - 08:12 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Do you have a friend or another computer that could download and burn a CD for you?

try Hiren's boot CD.

Download, save and then right click on it and Extract All.  Click on BurnToCD.cmd and follow the instructions to burn the CD.  Then move the CD to the sick PC and boot off the CD. (You may need to change the boot order so the CD drive comes before the hard drive.  See: http://www.hirensboo...-order-in-bios/ )
Boot into MiniXP

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

My CD player just broke a while back and I haven't yet installed the new one. But, I have a flash drive I can use. I know how to boot from the usb device. Do you know what program I can use to burn to usb flash drive? Thanks.

I've found this page. I'll try to get it to work, in between the blue screens. Takes 5 mins to reboot after the blue screen:

http://www.hirensboo...rg/usb-booting/

By the way, I think this link is dead:

http://www.hirensboo...BootCD.15.2.zip

I'm trying to use my other computer to create the USB boot device, but the USB Format application says I need Admin rights in order to run the program. I have Admin rights! Is this problem spreading to my other computer, I wonder? Or, something else is happening? Thanks.

http://www.hirensboo...s/USBFormat.zip

Is there anything we can do to stop the blue screens? Is there a way to uninstall Comodo? I tried uninstalling in SAFE mode and normal mode. I could not uninstall it.

Edited by Paul W., 26 January 2017 - 02:31 AM.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Okay. So, my other computer that I'm using to try to create a boot disk is win 10 pro. I did get the USB Format program to run in my win 10 pro computer as Admin. But, it failed to format while following the 3 simple steps on the Hiren's website. I really am not too ignorant when it comes to computers, but this problem is not easy, and that's why I'm here.

What should we do now? Thanks.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Wow, I just got a pure blank BLACK SCREEN. Is that the next step after the blue screens? I'm barely holding on here. Hopefully we can find a solution soon. Thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Every XP I've worked on has had the heatsink clogged with dust which causes them to run hot or to overheat.  It's possible that overheating is causing part of your problem.  If it's a desktop as appears probable from the picture you can shut it down and open it up (leave it plugged up so it has a ground) and use a small brush and a vacuum cleaner hose to remove the dust from the heatsink, vents and fans.  You may have to remove the fan to get to the dust but DO NOT REMOVE THE HEATSINK or you will need to replace the thermal paste.  While you have it open, start it up and watch the fan.  It should spin up quickly tho usually it will slow down right away.  There should be no squeaks or whines..  

See if you can get it to go in to msconfig

See: http://www.netsquirr...sconfig_xp.html

for instructions.

On the General page you can click on Diagnostic startup then reboot.

If it runs OK then you can go back into msconfig and 

Go to Services tab and click on the box to hide Microsoft Services then uncheck
everything that remains.  Go to Startup tab and uncheck everything.  OK and
reboot. 

Does it run OK now?  Go back in to msconfig and turn on everything that doesn't have to do with Comodo.  OK and reboot.  Is the system more stable?  

Advertisements

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

It's a laptop. At idle the CPU temp is about 40C. The fan runs quietly, and I've got additional fans cooling the bottom of the laptop. Yeah, I don't think it's heat related. I will try the msconfig operations. Thanks very much.

Edited by Paul W., 26 January 2017 - 04:45 PM.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I tried to click the Diagnostics in msconfig, and again it says I need to run as Admin. But, I was logged in with Admin rights. So, something is causing big problems.

Even though msconfig gave me an error, it did seem to go into Diagnostics startup. Not much loaded at all, and networking didn't work, so I couldn't get online. Anyways, I'll finish the rest of your ideas for msconfig. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Msconfig-error_26Jan2017_1425h.jpg

Edited by Paul W., 26 January 2017 - 04:48 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Some services are protected by changing the permissions on the registry entry.  Being an Admin won't help.  You have to go in tot he registry and take ownership of the key and change the permissions.  Sometimes Windows -All-In one can reset the permissions:

I think we need to try 
Windows Repair all in one

Download it and save it then run it.

You can skip to step 4 or 5 where it gives you the same picture as in the above link.

Make sure all of these are checked before hitting Start:

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Windows Firewall
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAC & MS Jet
Repair Hosts File
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Icons
Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
Remove Temp Files
Repair Proxy Settings
Unhide Non System Files
Repair Windows Updates
Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

Reboot when done and then see if perhaps you can unisntall things now.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Still working on that. I am currently running the BIOS testing to see what it finds.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Okay. So, i ran BIOS diagnostics. I got a beep code error "2000-0221 chipset interval timer failed". Also, I ran the WinRepair program and it found bad files: msinet.ocx and codejock. I'm not too certain of the accuracy of that test though. Anyways, any ideas where to go now? I still get blue screens, and even noticed that I am unable to reset the BIOS to default settings, from BIOS. That is really weird. And still having Admin rights issues, even though I'm logged in with a user that has Admin rights. Thanks.