Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COM PORT AND MODEM PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

jndgreen

jndgreen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I have recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP on a computer that my uncle built before he passed away. Has 50GB hard drive. Very nice.....my problem is this: My modem was working fine before but now..... it says dialing but I don't hear it working, you know the dial tone and then dialing and the schrree sch that it makes. It keeps trying to redial but nothing. I went into device managere and in my com port area it says I have COM1, COM2, and then the LPT1
When I click on my modem it says it is using COM3. Where is it on the device manager? I just need some steps to get this going. Please help ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is normal--the com3 is internal to the modem and will not be enumerated in device manager normally.

Go into device manager, select your modem, double click, then choose DIAGNOSTICS tab....hit query modem--what happens?