Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial-up Connection

• Please log in to reply

justmick

justmick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Whenever I boot up my computer the Internet Dial-up Connection dialogue box appears. The dialogue box cannot be closed or cancelled and if I try to do anything but connect straight away to the internet my computer freezes.If I connect to the internet and then disconnect then I can close out the dialogue box and proceed with any other task. However just lately this dial-up connection has taken to displaying itself at random!For example I can launch word and up pops the dial-up connection box. It is very frustrating as more often than not the computer ends up freezing.
This problem appeared to have manifested itself around the time I swapped from a non contract with Freeserve to "Freeserve anytime". However I have asked for some advice from Freeserve and they informed me that this could not possibly have caused the problem as the only change made would have been a new dialling number.They then suggested a possible virus or a third party software fault.I have a good antivirus package and a subsequent scan revealed that there were no viruses found.As for a third party software problem..well that is beyond me!
Can anyone help me rid this annoying fault
Many thanks in anticipation <_<
Mick

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi justmick
Welcome to geekstogo.
What they are tring to tell you is most likely you have a spyware that is doing this.
download and run spybot and adware from the link in my signature. then after you have done that download and run hijackthis don't remove any thing with hijack just save a log and post back here someone will look at it and tell you what you need to remove if any.
<_<