Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No display no keyboard no beep

• Please log in to reply

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Edited by Sameer Khan_312066, 23 February 2017 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Edited by Sameer Khan_312066, 23 February 2017 - 06:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    Sameer Khan_312066,

Observations from your pictures;

Got to be blunt here, the hardware is old, in poor condition and the PSU complete junk so any one or more components may have failed for whatever reason.

Pictures 2 and 3 show unconnected power cords coming into contact with the MB, this could have shorted out the MB, CPU or all of your hardware.

Don`t see an onboard BIOS speaker anywhere so perhaps it is hidden behind the data ribbons.

My problem now

No beep
Mouse works
Keyboard not working
Fan starts then stops then starts again
No display

Couple of questions for you;

How do you know that the mouse works when you do not have any display.

Are you using the wired PS/2 type keyboard and mouse that connect to the purple and green ports on the MB.

Which fan starts and then stops again (if the CPUs fan, this often suggests a short circuit or an overheating CPU being shut down).

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

:welcome:    Sameer Khan_312066,

Observations from your pictures;

Got to be blunt here, the hardware is old, in poor condition and the PSU complete junk so any one or more components may have failed for whatever reason.

Pictures 2 and 3 show unconnected power cords coming into contact with the MB, this could have shorted out the MB, CPU or all of your hardware.

Don`t see an onboard BIOS speaker anywhere so perhaps it is hidden behind the data ribbons.

My problem now

No beep
Mouse works
Keyboard not working
Fan starts then stops then starts again
No display

Couple of questions for you;

How do you know that the mouse works when you do not have any display.

Are you using the wired PS/2 type keyboard and mouse that connect to the purple and green ports on the MB.

Which fan starts and then stops again (if the CPUs fan, this often suggests a short circuit or an overheating CPU being shut down).

Hi thanks for replying I know it's old I don't intend to buy a new one before my exams Lol

When I said works I mean I can see light and moving it gives a response 

I'm using USB mouse and keyboard 

And cpus fan

I tried everything I could if I cannot fix this I have to throw it

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

It was working tomorrow maybe I just messed up everything  I was just giving a last try before throwing it 

Edited by Sameer Khan_312066, 23 February 2017 - 06:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If you have or can borrow the wired PS/2 type keyboard it would be better, USB ports are not enabled by default on older MBs and a keyboard not being detected on boot can prevent a computer from passing the power on self test (POST).

What I suggest;

With the PSU disconnected from the wall socket, ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Make sure that any power connection that is not plugged into an item of hardware is tucked away safely so that it cannot cause a short circuit.

Check that the following are connected securely, the 4 pin CPU connection, the 20/24 pin main power connection, any SATA or IDE connections to your HDD/s and/or DVD drive, the CPU fan, you should also make sure that it is connected to the CPU fan header on the MB and not a chassis fan header.

Remove the single stick of RAM and put it somewhere safe.

Connect the video cable from the screen to the blue VGA port on the MB.

Connect the keyboard (preferably the wired type as mentioned earlier).

Connect the PSU.

Power up the computer then post back and let us know if you got any error beeps with the RAM removed from the MB.

I can see that you are aware of how to edit your posts but please see the tip below;

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you have or can borrow the wired PS/2 type keyboard it would be better, USB ports are not enabled by default on older MBs and a keyboard not being detected on boot can prevent a computer from passing the power on self test (POST).

What I suggest;

With the PSU disconnected from the wall socket, ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Make sure that any power connection that is not plugged into an item of hardware is tucked away safely so that it cannot cause a short circuit.

Check that the following are connected securely, the 4 pin CPU connection, the 20/24 pin main power connection, any SATA or IDE connections to your HDD/s and/or DVD drive, the CPU fan, you should also make sure that it is connected to the CPU fan header on the MB and not a chassis fan header.

Remove the single stick of RAM and put it somewhere safe.

Connect the video cable from the screen to the blue VGA port on the MB.

Connect the keyboard (preferably the wired type as mentioned earlier).

Connect the PSU.

Power up the computer then post back and let us know if you got any error beeps with the RAM removed from the MB.

I can see that you are aware of how to edit your posts but please see the tip below;

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

I removed ram and keyboard mouse the this time fan doesn't stop and start again(fan Problem Solved) I hear long beeps and I checked without ps/2 keyboard it will take some time to find one. 

(Actually I was trying to delete this post) 

Edited by Sameer Khan_312066, 23 February 2017 - 07:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

For now can you connect the USB keyboard and mouse, leave out the RAM and again power up the computer to see if the CPU cooling fan stays running and you get the same error beeps.

I removed ram and keyboard mouse the this time fan doesn't stop and start again(fan Problem Solved) I hear long beeps 

Will come back to the error beeps after we know if the CPU stays running with the USB keyboard and mouse connected but the RAM still removed.

No problem, was just making you aware of why it is important to use the edit tab rather than post multiple replies.

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

For now can you connect the USB keyboard and mouse, leave out the RAM and again power up the computer to see if the CPU cooling fan stays running and you get the same error beeps.

I removed ram and keyboard mouse the this time fan doesn't stop and start again(fan Problem Solved) I hear long beeps 

Will come back to the error beeps after we know if the CPU stays running with the USB keyboard and mouse connected but the RAM still removed.

No problem, was just making you aware of why it is important to use the edit tab rather than post multiple replies.

I connected keyboard and mouse fan working fine and still can hear long beeps

Edited by Sameer Khan_312066, 23 February 2017 - 07:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

This would normally mean that the problem is after the RAM has been checked as part of the power on self test with the video chip or add on video card being checked next, but, due to the CPU fan stopping while the RAM is inserted it could still be either the memory slot on the MB or the RAM itself.

Try reinserting the RAM back into the memory slot nearest to the CPU, make sure it is seated correctly, test and post back with an update, remember the following at all times;

Please be sure to take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the PSU. And disconnect the power every time.

No need to quote every reply btw  <_<

Advertisements

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Reinserting the ram did nothing fan problem is back and beeps are gone I'll go give this ram to someone to check

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Try the RAM in each of the other memory slots on your MB first, if the behaviour is the same in each slot then you are looking at a bad stick of RAM, while not ideal it is far easier and less expensive to replace than certain other components such as the MB or CPU etc.

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I tried on two different slots everything is same

Sameer Khan_312066

Sameer Khan_312066

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Why it is not ideal 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Why it is not ideal 

Means that you could do without the RAM going bad but at least it is the least expensive part to replace if it has.

Polite reminder;

Do not double post, it is not helpful and important information can be overlooked when a thread has more than one page.