Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ripped audio files

copied auduo from cd

• Please log in to reply

kimbo 59

kimbo 59

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have copied my cd's to pc,they play with wm player,when I transfer to flash drive they won't play on other devices,both mp3 & wav files. I used  EAC to rip but I think the problem might be cds-200 copy protection which has I think installed itself on my pc via a cd that my drive didn't play automatically,i opened  and hit autorun & player icons and a macrovision player opened,since then I have had this problem.Does anyone know a fix?

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello kimbo59,

I was a bit intrigued by this, so have been trying to look into it for you........

You seem to be talking about Cactus Data Shield which is a form of CD/DVD copy protection.

On its page about Cactus Data Shield, Wikipedia says: -

On older Windows operating systems, disabling auto-play either once when loading the disc, or permanently, can stop the software player from launching and may be all that is required to access the audio session for drives that recognise both sessions. Newer versions of Windows since Vista have fixed the auto-run vulnerability thus all the user needs to do is simply choose not to run the software.

Which version of Windows are you running? If it is an old pre-Vista OS, you might perhaps need to try disabling autoplay (sometimes you can do this by holding down the sift key when you insert the disk) and then copy the CD to your computer again. I know it is going to be a pain though, if you have a lot of CDS with this problem.

What I am not clear about from your post is whether all your music files are affected in this way, so please would you tell me. As far as I can make out, the problem should only have affected certain CDs made during the period from 2001 to 2006. CDs after 2006 should not be affected.

I haven't used EAC myself, but I just read the following: -

You can prevent ANY auto-exec/auto-install by turning off auto execute on the drive. EAC does this if you start EAC before inserting the disc. I've ripped serveral copy-controlled discs, including Cactus Data Shield with EAC. In some cases I had to try a couple different CDROM drives to see which gave the best rip; in some cases a particular drive would get bogged down in a seemingly endless set of "retries". And, depending on the disc, sometimes it was necessary to fiddle with the ripping mode and use something different than secure mode. In all cases, I listened to the result to ensure that there was no obvious audible problem.

You could also try running an anti-malware program such as Malwarebytes if you haven't already done so, just in case any malware is involved in what is happening too.

Chris.

EDIT If just disabling autoplay when ripping the CDs doesn't work, you might ike the try the steps suggested at http://www.dsg.cs.tc...-protected-cds/

Edited by Channeal, 19 March 2017 - 02:04 PM.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Did you ever manage to sort this out, kimbo 59? It would be really great if you could let us know.

Many thanks
Chris.

kimbo 59

kimbo 59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Chris, sorry I didn't get back,i gave the cd,s to a friend to rip for me and he took a while but he was able to copy the tracks ok on his system.As for all the problems I was having with the wav files on the flash drive it turns out it was formatted in ntfs,as soon as I changed to fat32 it worked fine....what a smuck am I? I tried the fix you kindly suggested with the problem cd's but it didn't work on my cd rom.  I really appreciate your time to try to help me sort this out, I thought I had big issues...Thanks again Chris

zerosunny

zerosunny

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, if it is related CD/DVD copy protection. This might be helpful: how to remove DVD copy protection. You can have a check and see if it can help.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
No problem, Kimbo 59. Thank you very much for responding to my message. I Am very pleased to learn that you managed to sort the problems out. :)

Chris.

kimbo 59

kimbo 59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks again Chris