Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to build a computer

• Please log in to reply

Stara

Stara

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, 

My Dad passed away last month, I've been sorting through his stuff and I've found what I think are alot of the the makings of a new computer.I know he had a very old computer model that that he'd wanted to transfer onto a new one to preserve his files for years There's a tower and loads of various parts set to one side. I would love to finish what he started as I know it was very important to him. But I don't know where to start, I have no idea what half the stuff are. I'm going to list some of the items here, and you guys may know what they are for, or if they are relevant to building/fixing a windows pc. Sorry I know this is a long list, there is actually even more, I'm not sure if his plan was to replace the parts in his old computer, or build from scratch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dynamode IDE-SATA Bidirectional Converter

SEDNA - Shock-Proof 3.5" Hard Disk to 5.25" DVD ROM Bay Mounting adapter

Icy Box IB-AC643 Internal Mounting Frame for 2x 2.5 inch SSD/HDD to 3.5 inch Bay

CSL 3.5" all-in-one USB 3.0 (Super Speed) card reader | 2 x USB 3.0 | Multi-function panel in black | SD / SDHC / Mini SDHC / Micro SDHC / USB / XD /

2 of StarTech 3.5 inch Hard Drive to 5.25 inch Front Bay Bracket Adapter

Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SSHD)

SEDNA - IDE to SATA converter PCB Module

StarTech.com 18in Dual Drive Ultra ATA IDE Hard Drive Cable

StarTech Bi-Directional SATA IDE Adapter Converter

Bipra Bi-Directional IDE / SATA Converter (Connect IDE Drive to SATA Motherboard or SATA Drive to IDE Motherboard)

Startech.com PCI to PCI Express Adapter Card

CSL - PCI Express eSATA + SATAII + PATA (IDE) interface card | controller card 2 x eSATA, 2 x SATA II and 1 x PATA | incl. RAID controller (JBOD)

StarTech.com 5.25 inch Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5 inch Hard Drive - Internal SATA Backplane Enclosure

Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive

Duronic [HRS1051] 5 Port HDMI Auto Switch Box plus Remote - 5x1 HUB (5 way input 1 output) 1080p Full HD Switcher

LG GH24NSD0 24 x DVDRW Internal DVD Burner

NEW nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 FX5500 256 MB PCI 3D Video Card

PC Motherboard Diagnostic Card 4-Digit PCI/ISA POST Code Analyzer

Akasa AK-ICR-10 3.5 inch Internal Card and Drive Reader

StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader

mini MSATA PCI-E SSD 70mm to 2.5" SATA 7+15Pin Adapter Converter Card

ABC Products® All in One USB Multi Digital Camera / Mobile Phone Picture Memory Card Reader Writer USB 2.0 Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and

StarTech.com 40/44 Pin IDE to Compact Flash SSD Adapter

2 of RIBBON CABLE, RAINBOW, M-F, 40WAY, 200MM PSG-40MFRBW-200 By PRO SIGNAL

SEDNA - Shock-Proof 3.5" Hard Disk to 5.25" DVD ROM Bay Mounting adapter

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Stara,

First of all please accept our condolences, we are sorry to hear of your loss  :(

The majority of items that you have listed above would not be used when building a new computer from scratch, the exceptions may include the SATA hard drive and DVD drive and possibly one of the card readers, the bulk of the other parts would be used with an older motherboard that had IDE and PCI sockets etc and the chassis brackets for mounting the SATA drives into the case.

AndresI

AndresI

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Sorry for that.