Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluetooth on Presario with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

garychicago

garychicago

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I bought a portable speaker (Sony SRS-XB2) for my laptop. It is supposed to work with Bluetooth, but although there are bluetooth icons on my laptop (HP Compaq Presario CQ57, with Windows 7), I can't actually use bluetooth. (This confuses me, but never mind.) The speakers work on my smartphone (Samsung S5), but the Presario can't find it. The guy at Best Buy said I can connect it without Bluetooth by using the charger cable in my USB port. He was wrong - no sound. He also told me I could get a Bluetooth transmitter. Best Buy sells them for $25. Online I found prices from $7.57 (Walmart) to $110. (Also, some of them are called 'adapters' and some are called 'dongles' - What's that about?)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello garychicago,

Not all models of the HP Compaq Presario CQ57 have Bluetooth, have you checked in the Device Manager to confirm that there is a BT device and if there is does there happen to be a yellow ! or red X against the device.

The user manual is very basic for the Sony-SRSXB2 range and it does not mention being able to connect via USB to transmit audio.