Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor says Choose an Option - It's Complicated - Please Read!

- - - - -

Best Answer SleepyDude , 11 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for the info on backing up MS Outlook! I copied & pasted into a couple of folders so I'll know where to find the valuable info for future reference! Thanks again! ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Here is the photo results of chk e:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

One bad sector found.Now let the system boot normally to see if you can access Windows, if not please describe what happens.

Advertisements

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Here is the photo results of chk e:

One bad sector found.Now let the system boot normally to see if you can access Windows, if not please describe what happens.

Can't access Windows using normal boot. The following happened within about 3 minutes.

Turned on Power, light on....Gateway on monitor.....initializing letters briefly top of screen....4 squares came up with dots in circle spinning....4 squares disappeared....then dots were spinning for few seconds then they disappeared.....Power light went off & went to solid blue screen. 

Sorry, I was so long in replying, I didn't see the page 2.I kept looking at box under my reply.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I decided to copy & paste my last answer since I had added it to previous box & wanted to make sure you saw it.

Can't access Windows using normal boot. The following happened within about 3 minutes.

Turned on Power, light on....Gateway on monitor.....initializing letters briefly top of screen....4 squares came up with dots in circle spinning....4 squares disappeared....then dots were spinning for few seconds then they disappeared.....Power light went off & went to solid blue screen. 

Sorry, I was so long in replying, I didn't see the page 2.I kept looking at box under my reply.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Access Troubleshoot then Advanced Options, Startup Settings this time try with 4) Enable Safe Mode

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

1. Now in Safe Mode. Large icons like on desk top.  2. A blue box popped up middle of screen says "This app can't open, tips can't be opened using the built in administrator account. Sign in with a different account & try again. (Close)

I don't have a clue where to go to open another account.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Ignore the big icons its because the drivers for the graphic card aren't loaded on Safe Mode.

Can you access the Desktop and run Minitoolbox?

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi,

Ignore the big icons its because the drivers for the graphic card aren't loaded on Safe Mode.

No....tried 2 different things & both said "this site can't be reached."

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

No....tried 2 different things & both said "this site can't be reached."

Sorry, your have to transfer the program using a flash drive because the network doesn't work when running in Safe Mode.

If you can't use another computer try Safe Mode with Network, not sure if its possible to access the Internet that way if using an Wireless connection.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

:no:  1. This one has me puzzled. Sorry, but I can not figure the last instructions out. I found a minitoolbox & downloaded it but it's not on desktop & it's not showing up on downloads. I just don't know enough to get this one done. I appreciate your help but I feel I'm waisting your time. I don't have anyone with computer know how to ask how to do this. Unless you know of something else I can try, I'm stumped on this end.   :rofl:

2.  Was on husbands computer trying to download minitoolbox.  This photo shows several of the .exe I downloaded trying to get the minitoolbox. Said a year trial. I was going to download & then later remove. Then I couldn't find them. I just found them as shown in photo below.  It's all of the ones ending with .exe says "File not found". Since I didn't see them any other place can I assume I won't be charged later since it says: file not found?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gxj-T0wHOk3DCvmkuD26ViKguc9HyZ08pg/view?usp=sharing 

Edited by dee71, 05 April 2017 - 08:57 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Download Minitoolbox only using the link I provide http://www.bleepingc...itoolbox/dl/65/access the web page and wait for the download to start.

Most browsers will save the files on the Downloads folder so you have to open this folder and copy the file Minitoolbox to the flash drive.

Insert the flash drive on the problematic computer and run Minitoolbox from the flash drive with the options bellow selected:
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points
Click on Go.

The log mtb.txt is saved on the folder containing the minitoolbox tool, simply close the program and the notepad window showing the log. Eject the flash drive and connect it to the working computer, share or copy & paste the contents of the mtb.txt log please.

Advertisements

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi SleepyDude......what a day!!!  I'm having to re-type my note to you that I had typed early this morning. It doesn't show up here. It didn't go through since cable went out about the time I sent the reply & just came back on an hour ago. I looked to see if you had replied when I noticed my morning note wasn't showing!!

I had tried early this morning to get the minitoolbox. The black box had spinning dots for a long time. I checked Downloads & it was on the list of downloads so I put in Flash drive & it was on flash drive also ending with .exe. Then my "Norton" window popped up & said "site not safe & It has been removed". I went ahead & looked at problem computer to see if I could get flash drive in w/o success, 

I've decided that for this complicated fix that's way above my comprehension that I'm just going to take in to a repair shop.

Your help, instructions, knowledge, time & patience earn you the highest marks!!! It's me who is having problems! In case you want to do a final reply, I'll wait & then I'll come back to mark the post as "Solved". Ya'll are all so smart & I'll certainly come back to Geeks To Go when / if I have a minor problem that I need help with. I know see this was a bigger problem that was way beyond my knowledge. Thanks again & again!! You're a wonderful tech expert & I really do appreciate all your help!!  

dee71 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Strange that Norton is removing minitoolbox because I tested that and most Antivirus say the file is safe! Is not uncommon that some AV's detect the tools we use as malicious, its a false positive because they are safe.

I understand the frustration, the fact that we do this only with the user input and some logs collected makes things harder to diagnose and resolve in some cases.

It's entirely your choice go to a repair shop, I can tell you that we can try two or three more things not so complicated before going that route.

Let me know your decision.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

OK, lets try other options.   Maybe the other 2 things you have in mind to try will not need the mini tool box.

After cable went out & came back on, the problem PC screen is like it was originally when we first started. It is no longer in safe mode.

This morning, I went back to your  http://www.bleepingc...itoolbox/dl/65/ link to try again. I got the same black box w/ the spinning circle after ad finished that I got several days ago when Norton removed. See photo below from this morning. Only difference this time, Norton didn't pop up!! From computer Downloads, I sent to flash drive & then to desktop of working computer. I opened to see results & it said " c:users\Barnes\desktop\minitoolbox.exe is not a valid win32 application". In photo, you'll notice in the upper R corner where I pulled down arrow that showed the download said completed but window where I assumed the download was never changed from photo. Just like it did when I tried the first time. Maybe the reason this is not working is b/c my husbands laptop is old & has Vista OS.  After research, a few weeks ago I had to go to Opera for browser & I haven't been able to update Windows since last update Oct. 2016.  Maybe this is the reason for problem downloading the minitoolbox? 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Microsoft is dropping the support for Windows Vista on next week 11-04-2017!

I suppose that you now have the options "See advanced repair options" and Restart, click Advanced Repair Options and tell me the options available to choose.

If you can access Safe Mode from there try to run a system check by typing:

sfc  /scannow

Let me know the result.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

In advanced Options - Choices are:  System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, Start Up Settings, Go Back to to the previous build