Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access the internet

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

mlpcapdcp

mlpcapdcp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP computer with Windows 10. When I try to access the Internet, with any internet explorer, it tells me I have no Internet connection, even though the Icon on the bottom right says I am connected.
I have run the Windows Network Diagnostics, and followed all the suggestions referring to my modem. It tells me the Problems found are The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken.
When I put my Mouse over that statement, it says "the network gateway is accessible, but windows couldn't receive network traffic from the Internet"
We hooked up my husband's Laptop with the same cable and no problem. Our Wifi works fine.
I called our internet provider, Verizon, and she went through quite a few different scenarios with me, but still no connection.
She said she heard that there may be something in Windows 10 that is actually blocking the signal and suggested I contact you

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Did you try booting to Safemode with networking and see if the internet works there. This will tell us if a program is blocking the internet specifically Anti Virus / Firewall.

http://www.digitalci...mode-windows-10
Looks like the second method is easiest, hold the shift key down an restart the computer.

once in safemode with networking

Try connecting to http://www.Google.com

The next thing to try would be reinstalling the network adapter from device manager if no luck in safemode with networking. If it did work in safemode with networking then we need to track down the program causing the problem, in most cases it's the Anti virus software and sometimes reinstalling it may help.

Also did Verizon have you connect an Ethernet cable directly to the laptop ? Doing that uses the Ethernet adapter as opposed to the wireless adapter.