Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Conflict between two computers. help needed

• Please log in to reply

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
okay.. I recently hooked up my new computer to my router.. and I just saw an alert on my old computer that said "IP Conflict between computers." What does this mean and is it something to worry about?

Edited by killingalchemy, 17 June 2005 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It probably means that both computer have the same IP. Did you assign an IP to the new computer, or is it automatic detect? Or maybe the router is set to a range of one IP instead of several. :tazz:

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
al I did was hook up the ol cat5 to the computer and into slot 2 in the router and away I went... it doesn't seem to be bothering anyhting.. I'm playing an online game while people are online on the other computer.. and nothings slowing down or anything. so should I not worry about it?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, if you are going for an incorrect setup that could and probably will cause problems in the future, then nah, don't worry about it. I mean it shouldn't cause any mechanical damage, right? Other than confusing the router, and more than likely slowing down the network tremendously, there is nothing wrong with the, "If it ain't broke" attitude.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 18 June 2005 - 12:31 AM.

wildchild22

wildchild22

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
yeah before i reserved IP's on the router i had this a couple of times..... it fixed itself when i restarted the second computer, and a new ip was assigned to it

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Either set all your machines to "Obtain IP Automatically", or manually assign ALL of them IP addresses, but unless you know exactly what is getting what address, then it is not wise to mix and match.

Greazy Mcgeezy