Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is having Memory Issues After Deleting Directory Junction

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

matimeo

matimeo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

A few months ago, I created a symbolic link/directory junction between my C drive and D drive in order to move my user profile to give my C drive more space.

Today however, I felt that the it has now been causing more issues than benefits, as the windows operating system was still considering the junction as taking up space (around 22 GB) and not just a place holder like I had intended, so I looked up how to delete it the link. What I found told me to just remove it delete it like you would a normal file, so after going into safe mode and using the built in admin account I was able to remove the link.

I then tried moving the users profile back onto the C drive, but found that I had no space left on that hard drive. Using WinDirStat I was able to see that there was around 34 GB out of the 109 GB on the hard drive that was unknown to the application. I tried using windows clean up manager to remove system restore points as well any other temporary files, but I still cannot reserve the 22 GB that my junction was using. Before this I tried to delete unused programs as well as moving documents to reserve space, but was not very effective as most of the space contains important documents.

Is there any other way to get the space back, should I revert back to using the symbolic link, or am I even using the wrong type of link?

Advertisements