Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to connect to wifi (Resolved).

wifi internet

Best Answer zavalamerry , 28 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I clicked on "follow this topic" and it sent emails to my account twice then I no longer got emails.  I don't know if I did something wrong.  Anyway it is a moot point now.  Rkinner... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,513 posts
I thought a firewall was to protect my computer from harmful programs and threats.  So why would it block out speccy?  Isn't my malware supposed to be running at all times to scan programs before I  download them?

Mentioned this in my reply #27

both the Windows and Panda Firewalls are shown to be running which may explain your problems with internet connectivity.

It can cause all sorts of problems and until you only have the one AV and Firewall running there is not much we can do I`m afraid zavalamerry.

Advertisements

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Attached File  MERRYZ-PC 2.txt   347.92KB   30 downloadsThank you Phill and Freebooter.  I have spent the last two days trying to remove Panda and Bitdefender.  Bitdefender looked like it could be deleted through my add/delete programs so I attempted to do so 3 x and could not get it to uninstall.  So I went on line to see the recommended way to uninstall Bitdefender.  Fat Security said:  A word to the wise: Don't use the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" menu to uninstall it!

Why?

Because you will have a "Bitdefender Agent" app left and you won't be able to uninstall it.

Well, I had already attempted to uninstall with add/remove program and when it didn't work then I went looking for help.  Fat Security provided a link to uninstall Bitdefender.  I downloaded the uninstall and I have ran it 5 times and I continue to get the error message that "Bitdefender was removed with errors".  After each attempt to uninstall I rebooted. I ran the Speccy snapshot to see if the program had been removed and it hadn't. (please see the new attachment). 

I ran into a similar problem with Panda. Found the uninstall program to download and did so.  Ran the program and said it was sucessfull in uninstalling Panda, but as you will see in the Speccy snapshot it hasn't been removed just disabled. 

I also turned off my firewall to see if that was blocking the uninstall.  Bottom line: Neither Panda or Bitdefender are uninstalled just "disabled" 

Freebooter thank you for your help in loading new drivers for Linksys AE6000.  I have done what you have suggested and I still get messages that I have no internet connection or that the connection is poor.  

I think I have completed all of the requested tasks from both Freebooter and Phill.  If I have missed something please let me know and I will do the required task. 

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
Please download Revo Uninstaller from here: Revo Uninstaller
You can use Revo Uninstaller to force uninstall programs.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,513 posts
Hello Merry,

The steps recommended by Bitdefender for removing their products are explained here

I ran into a similar problem with Panda. Found the uninstall program to download and did so.  Ran the program and said it was sucessfull in uninstalling Panda, but as you will see in the Speccy snapshot it hasn't been removed just disabled. 

Noticed that the following details that I have highlighted in red are the exact same in both of your Speccy logs, this suggests that they are the same report;

Uptime
Current Session
Current Time 5/6/2017 4:14:33 AM
Current Uptime 190,735 sec (2 d, 04 h, 58 m, 55 s)
Last Boot Time 5/3/2017 11:15:38 PM

I also turned off my firewall to see if that was blocking the uninstall.  Bottom line: Neither Panda or Bitdefender are uninstalled just "disabled" 

Lets try a different approach;

Can you post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

You are welcome btw  :)

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Freebooter and Phill, I am frustrated I try so hard to follow the directions given however it seems that my computer is different than yours.  For instance: Phill asked me to run Autoruns and to : Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option. I was able to get an autoruns printout but was unable to hide microsoft and windows entries without running the report twice (my autoruns report did not combine the options).  Therefore I am sending two reports one for microsoft and one for windows entries.  Also wanted to mention that I read the tutorial for autoruns and did what was suggested to run my reports as administrator.  When I extracted the zip file I got several .exe choices so I ran the one with 64.exe.  

As for the Revo Uninstaller I was only able to get rid of Bitdefender.  Panda wouldn't uninstall. Looking at the settings/system/apps Bitdefender no longer shows as a current app on my system.  However Panda cloud cleaner continues to be listed.  When I try to uninstall it with Revo I continue to get the error message:   File "C:\Program files (x86)\Panda Security\Panda Cloud cleaner\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall. 

Again, I have spent the last two days trying to follow both of your instructions but it seems that my version of Windows 10 must be different than yours. 

I have been asking around for help here where I live and I am not getting very far.  Yesterday I was given a D-Link simultaneous dual band N (dual band gigabit router).  He wasn't sure if it would help and I don't have a clue how to determine if it is the answer to my problem nor do I know how to set it up. 

I am so appreciative of all your patience and help Phill and Freebooter.  I am frustrated and can only imagine you guys are too.  So where do I go from here? 

I am attaching a speccy report I generated today.  I hope it isn't a duplicate. 

Merry

Edit by phillpower2: Removed members Windows product key from Speccy report for security. 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,513 posts

No worries Merry, you did ok there  :thumbsup:

How is your internet connection when using the alternative Linksys USB adaptor.

As for the Revo Uninstaller I was only able to get rid of Bitdefender.  Panda wouldn't uninstall. Looking at the settings/system/apps Bitdefender no longer shows as a current app on my system.  

However Panda cloud cleaner continues to be listed.  When I try to uninstall it with Revo I continue to get the error message:   File "C:\Program files (x86)\Panda Security\Panda Cloud cleaner\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall. 

From your reply #28

I have spent the last two days trying to remove Panda and Bitdefender.  Bitdefender looked like it could be deleted through my add/delete programs so I attempted to do so 3 x and could not get it to uninstall.  So I went on line to see the recommended way to uninstall Bitdefender.  Fat Security said:  A word to the wise: Don't use the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" menu to uninstall it!

Why?

Because you will have a "Bitdefender Agent" app left and you won't be able to uninstall it.

Well, I had already attempted to uninstall with add/remove program and when it didn't work then I went looking for help.  Fat Security provided a link to uninstall Bitdefender.  I downloaded the uninstall and I have ran it 5 times and I continue to get the error message that "Bitdefender was removed with errors".  After each attempt to uninstall I rebooted. I ran the Speccy snapshot to see if the program had been removed and it hadn't. (please see the new attachment). 

What Fat Security advises is what normally happens when you do not follow the uninstall procedure that is recommended by any particular software provider, in this instance though it is possible that having the multiple AV programs running on the computer is or was actually interfering with the uninstall process.

Bitdefender and Panda are both showing up in Autoruns and Speccy, can I just ask if the Autoruns and Speccy reports were both generated after you had tried using Revo to uninstall Bitdefender and Panda.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Yes they were both run after I tried many times to uninstall them through Revro.  I will run the reports again to make sure.  Files attached.

BTW after I loaded Revo I got the Yahoo search engine and the Chromium program even though I said not to add them to my computerl  I think I was able to delete them through add/delete but wonder if they are still lurking in the background? 

I am confused as to what you are referring to: "alternative Linksys USB adapter".  

My system continues to "crash" saying no internet connection and it still is very slow to connect to searchs made. 

From what I understand in your last response Phill is that after all that work I still did not get rid of Panda or Bitdefender.  Am I understanding you correctly? 

Thanks again Phill for your help and guidance.  Hope these new reports are what you need. 

Merry 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,513 posts

Did you notice that I edited your reply #35 to remove your Windows product key, needed to do the same in your new Speccy report, we will need a new Speccy report before we are finished so can you please edit out the info yourself before uploading the new report, this is the very reason why I generally prefer the url, no product keys are on view.

BitDefender and Panda are still on your computer as reported by Autoruns and Speccy.

Chrome is also still showing up in Autoruns and Speccy.

Do you know what Kromtech Account Service is, it is running on your computer and it may be associated with Avira AV, see info here

Do you have any Hewlett Packard devices connected to your computer, their software is showing up as is Verizon Wireless Software Utility, any ideas on what they are.

I am confused as to what you are referring to: "alternative Linksys USB adapter".  

A blip on my behalf, it was the D-Link device you previously mentioned and not a new Linksys device :oops:  

We can make a start on tidying things up after we have read your next update.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Phill, I have used IObit Uninstaller in the past to get rid of stubborn programs (I don't know if it is a program approved by GTG though).

It has an option to scan for leftover bits (which Revo probably also has) Sometimes, after failing to uninstall fully by normal means I have actually downloaded the offending program all over again then used IObit to delete again and scan for leftover bits and that has actually worked. I don't want to interfere, but am just wondering if you think it might be worth a try?

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,513 posts

Thanks Chris, unfortunately though IObit programs are generally on the avoid list due to their PC Speedbooster and optimisation promising type programs landing users in trouble.

Your input is always welcome and appreciated btw  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Okay. I did wonder if it might not be approved here, although I have never seen any evidence of the problems you mentioned myself. Sorry.

I take it you think that it would not be worthwhile downloading the programs again and then using Revo? (Am sure you would have said if you did though, so you can ignore that question!)

I will go away now and leave you in peace :)

I hope you manage to get all your problems sorted eventually zavalamerry. Computers can be such pains sometimes! :)

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,513 posts

Just a couple of threads concerning IObit here here and here

Have a different method in mind for removing the offending programs Chris, but you are correct that reinstalling programs and then uninstalling them can sometimes help.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

:thumbsup:

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

You guys are amazing!  I will start at the top and work down... yes I did notice you deleted the product key and was going to figure out what you delted and do it on the future printouts but forgot.  Thank you for looking out for me. 

BitDefender and Panda are still on your computer as reported by Autoruns and Speccy.

So what you are telling me is even though Bitdefender doesn't show up on my apps report it is still in my system? I think I goofed up on that one.  When Revo was stating it was looking for leftover bits it was taking so long I assumed that it was my internet getting ready to crash again I backed out of the program before it finished.  

As far as Panda goes I went back into Revo ... got the same error message, however instead of stopping there I closed the error message and hit the "scan" button.  That brought up registry files, folders and leftover files.  When these items came up I was given the option of deleting them, which I did.  I ran a new Speccy report and it appears that Panda has been removed.  However I will attach the report so you can determine if that is true. 

Chrome is also still showing up in Autoruns and Speccy.

I used to have Google Chrom but I got frustrated with it and went back to IE.  However, checking on my default web browser I see in my settings that Microsoft Edge is listed.  That is another app that I was asked to utilize and I said no but it is now my default. 

Do you know what Kromtech Account Service is, 

I have no clue.  It might be an option I was looking into when I was thinking of leaving Bitdefender. 

Do you have any Hewlett Packard devices connected to your computer

I used to have HP printer a while back.  It was also a program that I tried to uninstall but wouldn't let me.  I now have an Epson and don't need Cannon.  I also don't need coupon finder, guru picture finder or dupe picture finder.

In reference to the new D-Link system, I don't know where to start when it comes to hooking it up so I have been avoiding trying.  Plus, I was waiting to hear from you before I spent hours trying to connect it. 

Yes, Chris when it comes to the inner workings of a computer I am always in the dark and they become a big pain!  Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. 

Phill, I am guessing you don't want me to follow any of Chris' suggestions? 

Once again I am grateful for everyone's help and input.  (especially Phill who is a trooper and still hanging in there! And giving me encouragement every step of the way :popcorn:

Attached Files

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Hello zavalamerry,

Yes, Chris when it comes to the inner workings of a computer I am always in the dark and they become a big pain!  Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. 

Phill, I am guessing you don't want me to follow any of Chris' suggestions?

I always feel a great deal of sympathy for people who come here not knowing very much about computers, as I was in the same position just a very short time ago. I still know very little really - but with the help of this forum I have done tasks that I would never in a million years have thought I was going to be capable of. Computers can seem so scary when someone is faced with a job they don't know how to deal with - but my message is that if you take it step-by-step, you can almost certainly do so much more than you ever thought possible! :thumbsup:

Yes, please do ignore my advice now and just follow Phill's: he knows probably a billion times more about these matters than I ever will! :yes:

It sounds as if Revo Uninstaller has probably got rid of Panda now. The purpose of these uninstalling programs is that they do get rid of all those left-over bits in the registry etc that you aren't even aware are there, but that can still cause problems. You do need to let them carry out the scan for the left-over bits though! :)

Good luck with sorting everything else out; you are in very safe hands with Phill and Freebooter! :)

Chris.