Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect to wifi (Resolved).

wifi internet

Best Answer zavalamerry , 28 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I clicked on "follow this topic" and it sent emails to my account twice then I no longer got emails.  I don't know if I did something wrong.  Anyway it is a moot point now.  Rkinner... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Don't worry, zavalamerry. The topics on here are not usually closed, in case you need to come back for more help.

I myself just posted here to ask whether the bitdefender folks managed to sort out your problem - just 'cause it is always nice to follow through a problem to the end! :)

Chris

Advertisements

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

P.S. what is the best way to get a hold of Rkinner? 

Once again I am having problems... I have hit the "post" button 3 times and it still won't let me post and now I am typing on a page that should have posted.... :no:  :smashcomp:

Now it looks like I have posted this page 3 times... time for bed... I must be rummy 

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Merry,

To contact Rkinner, just follow Phill's instructions from message #63, i.e: -

1. Go to Malware forum at http://www.geekstogo...malware-removal/

2. Start a new thread and include Rkinner's name in the subject title, e.g. 'Rkinner offered to help me get rid of bitdefender & other programs'

3. In your first post in the new thread, be sure to give a link to this present topic so that Rkinner can find it easily.

No idea why you had problems posting here btw. Sometimes if you think something hasn't posted successfully the first time, it is a good idea to refresh the page before trying to post again.

Hope all goes well in the Malware forum. :)

Chris.

EDIT For details of how to start a new topic, please go to http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/134788-how-to-create-a-new-topic/

Don't know if you saw my message #68 yesterday as it was posted at exactly the same time as your first message - but I said that the topics here are always left open, in case the poster needs to return to it later for more help.

Edited by Channeal, 07 June 2017 - 04:12 AM.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Phill, Chris and Freebooter you have been so very helpful.  I can't thank you enough!! I started a new thread with malware and now just have to wait for Rkinner to respond.  

I have ditched Linksys because of lack of competent customer support.  I got a new dongle and plugged it in about 8 hours ago and haven't lost internet connections.  Hope this one is better than the Linksys dongle. 

Am I correct in understanding that if I close out this thread I won't be able to come back to it to reference all the helpful programs you guys have suggested I use?  :(

I still have to go back and follow your directions on how to set a restore point so I need to be able to access this thread for a little while more. 

Merry 

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello zavalamerry,

Am pleased to hear that your internet connection seems more stable now that you have got a new dongle. :thumbsup:

In message #68 I said: -

Don't worry, zavalamerry. The topics on here are not usually closed, in case you need to come back for more help.

Topics on here are not closed down completely. They can be marked as 'Solved' if you think the problem is done with - but even then, you can come back to the thread again to get further help if the problem re-emerges. If you save a link to this thread so that you can find it easily, you will probably be able to access it years ahead from now. I have a topic I created back in 2014 that I sometimes still access to get info from - so you will definitely be able to come back to this one without any problem! :)

Good luck with your malware thread.

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 12 June 2017 - 04:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello folks  :)

Chris has explained things nicely (thank you Chris  :thumbsup: ) so only the one suggestion from me Merry, please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your malware thread OP.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I have contacted Rkinner and he suggested running 3 programs: ADWcleaner, Junkware-Removal tool & FRST all from bleepingcomputer.com.  I have ran all of the programs tonight and am waiting for an answer from him. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have contacted Rkinner and he suggested running 3 programs: ADWcleaner, Junkware-Removal tool & FRST all from bleepingcomputer.com.  I have ran all of the programs tonight and am waiting for an answer from him. 

so only the one suggestion from me Merry, please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your malware thread OP.

You are not shown to be following your malware thread.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

:oops: Thank you again for your advice... why am I not following the thread now? wasn't I following before?  :huh:

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Merry,

No, you are not subscribed to follow your Malware topic.

Look at the screenshot below from my computer. Where it says 'unfollow this topic', on your computer it will instead give you the option to follow it. Click on it and that will change. Then, if you look at the number to the right of it - next to the icon showing somebody's head - you can check that your name has been added to the list of people following the topic. Once you have subscribed, from then on you should receive an email to let you know when somebody posts a new reply.

You are actually not subscribed to this present topic here either. I am not sure whether you were previously subscribed to it - as I think you said once that you had received a notification, but that it had gone into your spam folder. Maybe you subsequently unsubscribed to it though, as you thought the topic was finished with.

Hope this is clear. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Chris.

followtopic.jpg

Edited by Channeal, 18 June 2017 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Thank you Chris, that answers why I wasn't getting emails to let me know when someone was responding to my last reply. 

Sigh... just got another email from Rkinner and it seems that from what he is finding Bitdefender isn't the problem but it could be the hard drive failing.  :smashcomp:  My brother in law isn't going to be happy to hear that since he made this computer about a year ago.  O.K. I am now going to go to the malware thread and subscribe to it  :no:

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Merry,

Thank you Chris, that answers why I wasn't getting emails to let me know when someone was responding to my last reply.

You are most welcome :)

Sigh... just got another email from Rkinner and it seems that from what he is finding Bitdefender isn't the problem but it could be the hard drive failing.   My brother in law isn't going to be happy to hear that since he made this computer about a year ago.  O.K. I am now going to go to the malware thread and subscribe to it 

Really sorry to hear that, Merry. With all your health problems, I am sure you could do without this happening! :(

If it is any consolation to you, I was told almost a year ago that my second hard drive (my computer has 2 hard drives) had signs of failing - but so far it is still okay. I guess it depends on how bad a state it is in though. I myself have absolutely no idea how to interpret things like raw values - they might as well be written in Chinese as far as I am concerned! :(

I am sure Rkinner will be able to tell you more about the condition of your hard drive in due course. Meanwhile, do make sure that any important data is backed up.

I hope things are not as bad as you fear!

Take care,

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

You still aren't shown as following your Malware topic, Merry. I have no idea why! :(

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 20 June 2017 - 12:57 PM.

zavalamerry

zavalamerry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
✓  Best Answer

I clicked on "follow this topic" and it sent emails to my account twice then I no longer got emails.  I don't know if I did something wrong.  Anyway it is a moot point now.  Rkinner said that he didn't think Bitdefender was my problem.  He had me run many programs to check my computer and his observation was that my hard drive was failing.  I ended up getting Spectrum to get a good wifi connection.  

I am sorry I have been remiss in keeping you up to date.  Again I will say I don't know how to close my topic and I don't want you upset at me  :X

Thank you all for the help.  I really couldn't have done it without you! :yeah:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Merry,

I am sorry I have been remiss in keeping you up to date.  Again I will say I don't know how to close my topic and I don't want you upset at me   :X

Not a problem, was aware that you were busy and appreciate you getting back to us  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words Merry  :)