Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a source for info on working with ASUS K52F bios, key commands?

asus notebook k52f boot cd

• Please log in to reply

OwenN

OwenN

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I need some more info on bios settings and "hot keys" to get a boot from CD.

At present, I have a Microsoft win10 upgrade/reload disk made from an iso.

I have found how to get into the BIOS settings. It has a somewhat non-standard layout.

I can boot off a flash drive if I use the Uefi mode.

However the microsoft software detects this, and refuses to continue, as it thinks I should be building

a uefi machine-insufficient info to do that. This is a standard-ish MBR setup.

With the cd drive as my boot device, I get a "press any key to boot from cd" message, but the boot doesn't happen. A quick press goes to a windows 10 boot, holding the key gives part of a boot, but not off the disk.

possibly it dislikes the efi \boot\bootx64.efi file ?? , or there is an additional "hotkey" combination??

Has anyone had dealings with the k52f, successfully?

Is there a body of info on these machines? ASUS documentation is a bit "thin", and the machine is out of warranty, so, "pay for advice/info!!!"

* there doesn't seem to be a specific topic for this stuff-Firmware??

Basic detailed manuals for existing PCs?

Editing a boot cd into a more acceptable format?- that is a bit software-ish??

I notice there is a bit of windows-related key-trickery involved in getting into the BIOS in the first place!

What should generally be on a boot disk, and in what order for general application,

or to fulfil expectations of manufacturers such as ASUS??

I can post a listing of the base-level contents of the disk, if that would help?

(if that is the problem)....

Since this is a dreaded  DVD-R, it needs to go on a more editable format disk, or I need

to create an ISO file and re-burn it onto a new disk.

The flash drive is so much better for this kind of thing.

Will a DVD-ram disk or RW type work in the same type of burner drive??

Edited by OwenN, 02 May 2017 - 02:57 AM.

Advertisements